SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

long blooming shade flower for a border

I need your advice.

I have a border which is very much in shade much of the day. I am waffling between an annual plant for this border (e.g. some non "Walleriana" impatiens or coleus etc) or alternatively a shade perennial.

Last day while at a nursery I was drawn to the bold and bright colours of the heuchera "Paprika".

And although I am not a heuchera fanatic this one would for sure brighten up this shady border.

But if I do go say for 3 of them I will have them spaced out along the curved border but with a non heuchera, non hosta perennial/annual in between and on either end i.e 4 more plants. And I want this plant to have a flower, preferably non-white and be not too tall (less than 2 feet for sure) given that it is a front border. What flowering shade plant would you recommend? For example I thought of Ligularia "Bottle Rocket".

It would be nice to go for an annual for long continuous profuse flowering...impatiens would be perfect except I refuse to use "Walleriana" impatiens for the foreseeable future due to the continuing downy mildew problem.

I welcome your suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paprika Heuchera

This post was edited by rouge21 on Thu, May 2, 13 at 11:30

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery