SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittyl_gw

What sealants are best for Polycarbonate

kittyl
17 years ago

Well, the corrugated polycarbonate followed me home from the hardware store!

I read back through a post started in May 06 about "What sort of caulk to use with Polycarbonate". Several suggested silicone caulk and nathan said he called corning who said use silicone. My husband picked up a clear sealant, which ingredients are "mineral spirits, Xylene, synthetic rubber, and hydrocarbon resin". Any greenhouse "chemist" on this forum to tell me whether this will damage the Polycarbonate?

The previous thread talked about "Great Stuff". IÂve used a lot of this in a project before with PVC pipe, it really is great stuff, and it had no significant odor nor did it damage the PVC. I do understand sun will cause it to turn yellow, but where IÂm putting it behind the studs it likely wonÂt be seen. My hardware store has another foam sealing product from Dap-tex which says it is latex foam sealant with no solvent odors and water cleanup.

"Great Stuff" is made of a "polymeric diisucyanate, polycis & hydrocarbon gas mixture". Got that? Ahhhh? I didnÂt get what Dap-tex is made of, other than latex based.

Anyone have incompatible/damage problems using either of these sealants?

I remember someone saying donÂt put bleach/Clorox on Poly as it does interact and cause a toxic gas. So IÂm just want to be using the right stuff.

I'm trying to attach a link to a photo of my greenhouse, framed and ready.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:305697}}

Comments (12)