SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linden_gw

what is best sealant for cedar deck?

linden
16 years ago

Hello,

I posted this question on the "IPE deck and cedar posts and rails - help", but thought it is different and may require a new listing. I am new to the GardenWeb and am still figuring things out.

We have a cedar deck that the previous owner probably used Thompson's Water Sealant on becasue the Cabot Stain my husband applied a few years ago came right off. We have finally worked up the courage to tackle this job again and are in the market for better results.

The man at the hardware store says that enough time has gone by that the Thompsons may have worn off -we have been the house seven years- and suggests using CWF-UV. Sounds great but it needs 2-3 dry days before and 2 dry days after to ensure a proper application. Unfortunatley this is a weekend project for him and that idealic weather is hard to come by around here.

Has anyone ever heard of WoodRx? I found it on the internet and know nothing about it. We would like a clear-ish natural look to the deck, and will probably put a solid stain on the railing. Stripping that would be too much trouble.

I appreciate any information anyone has.

This deck is under a lovely large white oak tree that gets the deck quite dirty when it rains.

After cleaning it with the Olympic deck cleaner, it is white with the dark knots. We don't want the orange/red of so many cedar stains, just a warm natural look. My husband says a little color will add UV protection. How much is needed to do that? What does UV do to the wood anyway, I thought it was moisture we were supposed to worry about?

Thank you.

(I wish it were brick)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH