SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highonpottery

lean-to/walkthrough greenhouse between house and fence

highonpottery
15 years ago

hello,

wondering if there is a greenhouse expert who can help sell me on my idea of DIY'ing a lean-to greenhouse between the side of my house and the fence.

the side of the house is on the south side, but it is also a walkway to access the backyard from the front. the walkway is only 5' wide and the fence is 6' tall, from ground to the eaves it is about 7' and they stick out around 2'.

i was originally going to build a 2'deep x 6'wide x 6'tall lean-to on that side of the house so that I can still move say a wheel barrel down the side of the house, but now i'm thinking it is not really that big and why not make it bigger and just convert around 12' of the side of the house into a walkthrough greenhouse.

my concern with this is the light coming in will only be from the top since the fence is there. I would fab up some end panels with maybe a 36"x6' doors that will allow you to pass through.

what would you suggest to cover the side that the fence is on? there would be too many air leaks if I just use the fence as a wall. is there a less expensive alternative to the corrugated poly panels that I will use for the rest? my air vents will be the hinged triangulated section of the side panels as I will make the sides rectangular and then add in the triangle to match the pitch.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)