SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emorems0

Makeshift greenhouse against the house?

emorems0
10 years ago

Cross-posting from the Vegetable Gardening Forum... didn't realize that greenhouses had their own forum!

I've been trying to figure out how to plant 'on-time' without risking freezing my seedlings during this colder than normal Spring. I do have some floating row covers, but it's my understanding that won't help much if the temps really drop.
Both of my main beds are against my house, and I've been trying to figure out how to make something like this work for an early Spring makeshift greenhouse. http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/how-to-make-a-green-house.jpg

The difficulty I'm having is that my beds are only 5ft wide and it looks like I'd need equal height and width for a 'greenhouse' like that to work. If I'm going to spend the money on greenhouse plastic, I'd like it to work in the Fall too so I can extend my tomato harvest (I ALWAYS have green tomatoes on the vine when the first Fall frost comes around)... so it would need to be much higher than 5' high - my tomatoes often grow to 10'.

I'm wondering if it would work to just attach the greenhouse plastic to the house (like, right under the eaves?) and drape it over the garden and secure the bottom without any real frame under it. I do have a few trellises in there that would help to hold it up some, and the beds are narrow, only 5' wide so I feel like it shouldn't need 'that' much support.

Thoughts? Is this a waste of time/money? Will it help my garden grow through a cold Spring? How much frost protection would it provide (at night especially) considering it will be attached to our 'warm' house? How would you attach it to the house? I was thinking of wrapping the plastic and sandwiching it between two 1x2s and screwing that onto the house somehow (and a second set of 1x2s for a bottom rail out at the front of the bed), then just wrapping the sides around back to the house and holding down with rocks or something. When the real risk of frost is gone, I can just wrap it back up until I need it again in the Fall.

Melissa

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus