SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xeramatheum

I think I've found the 'Magic Cure' for ants!

Xeramatheum
18 years ago

I have been all over the net, using european search engines (I exhausted the domestic ones) to see if I could find out how to control ants in the greenhouse. I think I may have found the magic cure.

Lavender Oil

I just happened to have some cheap lavender oil I bought at a dollar store a year ago and figured what the heck. I got a cotton swab and swabbed all the cracks & crevices on the outside where they like to build their nests, then put some in a spray bottle with water, enough to where I could smell it in the water and saturated the work bench with the solution.

It's been two weeks now and there is at least an 80% reduction of ants inside the greenhouse and absolutely no new nests on the outside. I used to spray them out of the cracks n crevices with the hose every few days so I know they come back and start over again within hours .. Not anymore. I just got finished reswabbing everything and put a fresh coat of lavender water on my work bench.

I'm also going to get more oil and mix up more lavender water and saturate the pea gravel in the greenhouse. I've even swabbed some oil across my door jambs going into the house and the ant's wont cross it! It also seems to repel the mosquitoes as well since I haven't been bitten once since spraying the lavender water .. usually I needed a blood transfusion if I stayed in there longer than 15 minutes.

I'd like a volunteer to repeat my experiment using peppermint oil to see if the same results are achieved. It was mentioned along with the Lavender Oil. Has to be oil based so it won't evaporate. Any volunteers out there?

X

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville