SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pnbrown

The great debate!

pnbrown
11 years ago

So this time of year this forum and some of the other forums become preoccupied with people wanting to know how to start gardening asap (because they have not planned ahead). Seems like this year is more than usual, I guess more people are wanting to garden, which is great.

Every post quickly devolves into a little contest between those who propose to amend and use the existing ground and those who recommend bringing in soil of some unknown kind (always unknown, because we don't know what particular people have available within some reasonable range). Also there is usually no recognition of scale, for example 3/4 of an acre gets the same debate as 300 sq ft.

Maybe we can use this thread to have some rational debate on the subject and include real factors like scale, soil types, and time frames involved. Maybe neophyte gardeners can use the thread to learn some useful info rather than feeling offended or annoyed and having to choose sides when their own threads get derailed.

So I'll start:

I think that there is rarely any justification for moving soil or compost purely to make very thick beds over existing problem situations like sod, thick enough for plants to grow in right away. My reason is because involves such a large amount of fuel to gather and move the material not to mention labor. The primary justification for this strategy seems to be to avoid moving or turning sod or to obtain ideal growing conditions.

I propose that when there is an idea that bringing in large amounts of soil is the only option, not enough time has been allowed. Covering the ground is a good strategy for relatively small areas, but sufficient time must be allowed (typically fall to spring in cooler regions). Obviously I am not against moving materials entirely, because amendments and fertilizers are nearly always needed to some extent or other.

Covering the ground is not a rational strategy for large gardens, or obviously for market gardens or farm-scale.
We can reasonably debate whether a person is willing to collect and move enough materials to cover 1000 sq ft, but I think it's pretty fair to say that very few if any will cover a half-acre in one season. This is what careful tillage and cover crops are for.

So hopefully any first-time gardeners reading this can get a fair picture of options for starting a garden. If one is considering a few hundred square feet, then it is feasible to cover the area a foot thick with imported soil. However, please do not think that cutting into your established lawn, because you failed to amend and cover last fall, constitutes an outrage against sustainable gardening. It does not, it won't kill all your earthworms and chase away all the microbes. Once a garden is well-established, one can easily maintain a minimal-till system.

Comments (27)