SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

how do Aesculus seedlings grow?

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

Out of the seed obviously, but...I know with acorns, there can be an issue where, if they've internally started to sprout, and you flip the nut over (accidentally or otherwise), you can end up with a kinked stem, because the root will start emerging the "wrong" way, then curl around and leave you with a trunk that has too sharp of a curve to "grow out" of it.

Do Aesculus do the same thing? I took my handful of A. flava nuts out of stratification, because three were sprouting radicles. One wasn't showing any sign of sprouting at all, and one, the "shell" is cracking, but no radicle has emerged. I also forget which way it faced in the container it was in in the fridge. So I am concerned as it sprouts it might do the same thing.

Some pictures I've seen online make it appear that, after a long taproot emerges, the "bud" that becomes the shoot also extends an inch or so out of the nut, then shoots upward, which might give it enough time to orient itself properly regardless, but I'm not sure that's how it actually works.

Should I just check it daily to watch the root emerge so I can catch what direction it's trying to go? Or will it matter?

Comments (12)