SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane1149

Open Wound Magnolia Tree Trunk Lg Limb

jane1149
15 years ago

Hi,

My neighbor, which is a parking lot for city government, has a nice star magnolia that is only 3-4 years old and about 6-7 ft. tall. For most of this time I have watered and fertilized this little tree so I am fairly familiar with it. It has always been small but healthy, because of the care, even through dry summers. However, yesterday, I was shocked to see two large wounds, one in the base of the largest branch and one in the trunk. Both wounds are deep. One worse than the other. The worst is open to the circular core of the tree on one side for about 3" up and down. The core is exposed about 50% in that spot. It has started to grow back a bit so I am not sure when this happened but it had to be since late fall which was the time I watered and mulched it last. The other wound is not quite so deep. The tree just went through single digit temperatures for about a week and we have had freezing temperatures on and off all late fall and winter. Also, we have had some tree and shrub vandalism in the neighborhood this past year but I never noticed any broken limbs on this tree that would cause such deep damage. I guess I am shocked at this. I love the tree and have no room for a magnolia in my own yard so I adopted it so to speak. I am trying to figure out what caused this. I am also trying to determine if there is anything I need to do to try to help the tree survive. It is still below freezing here so bugs are not an issue, I don't guess. Should I do anything? Does the tree stand a chance of living? Could freeze damage go that deep? I would take pictures but it's so cold out I hate too. Just know that the tree is not broke over, tree is straight as always, but you can see the center core in two spots on this little tree and each spot is 3-4" long and 2-3" wide. Can anyone help? Any ideas? By the way, if I notify the government agency that owns it they may just take it down and not replace it. I'd hate to see that so I thought I'd try to help if I could. However, otherwise I will just keep quiet and see if the bark completely grows over the large wounds.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Comments (16)