SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vancwa

McLane Edger engine advice

vancwa
11 years ago

I really like my Echo stick edger for quick trims, but sometimes a walk behind is better - for example to enlarge a bed. I have this older McLane walk behind that I've owned since new and have neglected. I never did love the 3HP Briggs that is on there and it hasn't been run in about 13 years (still with gas in the tank and carb). It's always been a hard starter. I'd actually rather invest whatever money I'd spend rebuilding the carb and fuel system, tune up... by just replacing the motor. Wasteful yes, but much cheaper than buying a whole new edger.

The shroud on the motor has the following info stamped into it:

Model 80202

Type 1765 02

Code 90030603

I can measure the shaft length and diameter, but it looks like 2 3/16" X 5/8". I couldn't find the manual online at Briggs and Stratton. I have two questions

1. How do I know what replacement motor is compliant with fitting this edger? Even the OE 3HP Briggs motor fitment was a little funky because the oil plug is about 1/4" from one of the front wheels.

2. What motor would be best? Absolute cost is not a big deal, so $200 for another Briggs or $330 for a Honda GX120 would not be a problem either. I realize I may have to buy some new hardware like a belt and pulley. I'm sure there may be other even better engine choices. I just would rather have a hassle free engine.

Obviously I'm not the most frequent user but I'd like something reliable, quiet and easy to start. I had a great motor swap on my Snapper - using a Kawasaki FJ180V - a suggestion I got on this forum. That was terrific advice and I LOVE that motor.

Thanks from Vancouver WA

Comments (4)