SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cranheim

stihl br600 maintenance

17 years ago

I was thinking about buying the new STIHL BR600 backpack blower with the new 4Mix engine. However, after reading the maintenance requirements in the online operators manual, I an having second thoughts. There are two items that bother me. First, it says the valve clearance must be checked at 139 hours. Second, The combustion chamber has to be "decoked" after the first 139 hours, then after every 150 hours. They do not say how to do these procedures, implying it must be done by an authorized dealer. Do they think anyone will know when the machine has been run for 139 hours without an hour meter? How do you "decoke" the combustion chamber. I would think you would have to remove the cylinder head for that, probably requiring a new head gasket. The BR600 is their best commercial machine. What commercial user will tie up the machine every 150 hours for maintenance service? I really like STIHL power equipment, but this seems to be a step in the backward direction. The 4Mix engine may run well between service outages, but I think I would rather have the old standard 2-cycle engine that runs for years with very little extensive maintenance. I have the BR420C backpack now, but would like to upgrade to something with more power. I would appreciate hearing from someone who owns a BR600 to verify I understand what I am reading in the operators manual. Charles Ranheim

Comments (10)