SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe4majors

Belt routing question for 'White' garden tiller

joe4majors
14 years ago

Hi all,

I am very close to the complete restoration of my grandfather's old garden tiller. The engine-less frame had sat in the elements for 25 years but now all I need to do is figure out how the belt wraps around the pulleys and idlers. A link below, which I hope will work, has pictures that might help. The tiller has both forward and reverse which would make you think it should have two belts, one for forward and a reverse belt that has been twisted to spin the drive shaft in the opposite direction. The mystery is that I have the original belt but it appears to be twice as long as it should be. All that I can figure is that it only had one belt and the slack is taken up because the belt is looped around in some manner allowing both forward/reverse with one belt. How in the world this is possible, I do not know. I took picture of the tiller before taking it apart and as far a I know I put it back together properly. The engine that is on there now is not the original so I may need to put a double groove pulley on the engine shaft as there is only a single groove pulley attached for now.

Finding a solution has been hard because it appears the company that built the tiller is no longer in business, or has merged with something else. I assume the model is from the 1970's (educated guess). The original labels said "White's Power Ranger 5 HP." I could not find a model number. Has anyone heard of this company before? I ran across a few manuals online for a White Roto Boss 300, 350, 500, 550, etc. but none of these match up to what I have. I do not think White is the same as White Outdoor. I hope to have this ready for the fall planting. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2340403&id=27406929&l=3e42b1d23c

Thanks,

Joe

Comments (7)