SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harleysilo

Almost finished my compost bin...(Pics)

harleysilo
17 years ago

Got to screw up some more 2x4's, and then attach the metal welded wire and then fill it up...

Think I'm also going to have some removable panels for a "door" as well. What is the consensus, door needed or not?

{{gwi:277260}}

{{gwi:277261}}

and for reference as to where on our property i located it....

{{gwi:277262}}

{{gwi:277263}}

A gate is going where I created the opening in the shrub line, I wanted to be able to park my small trailer behind the fence so we didn't have to look at it....

Comments (18)

• blutranes
    17 years ago

Adding a removable door to your bin can have many advantages as well as some drawbacks looking at your photos. As well, using pressure treated wood has in the past been a topic of concern on this board (about 50-50 for/against). Having a door allows filling your bin up completely allowing the front of the pile to not be wasted due to compost material falling out of the bin. This adds more mass to the pile and even composting action to the front of the pile. The problem I have found with using doors is when it is time to turn or remove the compost; one will have to dig out compost over the top of the door until the pile is low enough to remove the door. As well, if the door is removed first (can be swung out) all the material will spill out on the ground. This is not a problem if you have thought that out. Working with your back up against that wall may be a problem later if room to maneuver is required. Consider wanting to use a wheelbarrow to haul compost out the bin; how much room will you have to dig out compost into the wheelbarrow?

I started using doors a few years ago, and did build a four (4) bin system a few months ago for storage/curing and do like the system. As stated earlier, having to scoop compost over the door is stressful on the back until the door can be removed. I made doors that slide into place between slats. Then there is the famous Georgia clay when it gets wet that has to be considered as well. I am not trying to be negative, just expressing some of the concerns I had to deal with when interacting with my bins. If planned well, you should have a great system to make compost in. The possibility of adding more bins also comes to mind; how will you add more in the location you have chosen? Will the trees/bushes roots invade your bins in the future? The roots may never be a problem, just something to consider based on recent posts about concerns related to roots invading the pile.

You have a good idea started, addressing working with your bins will give you great pleasure in the future IMO. Best wishes on your project, and I do trust my insights are useful in some wayÂ

Blutranes

• harleysilo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have about 5 and 1/2 feet between the fence and the open side of the bin. I've purchased some angle iron with holes in it to attach to the inside of both post to create a channel in which I can slide several board in to create a door. I've read quite a bit on here and determined I didn't want a swing out door, but i like the slats ideas I saw. I added 2 more runs of 2x4's last night, and will add the channels and welded wire tonight and takes some more pics. I'm aware of the PT debate, I guess I fall into the category of not caring about it.

I do have a question, with multiple bins are you actually moving stuff from bin to bin, or is it just so you can make more compost? Because I plan to build another bin, but it will be about 30 feet from this one. I could build one more right be side it, but it would require removing half of the picture Autum olive which was a pain in the butt.

Regarding location, due to the original owner planting screening plants on the property line, our fence is offset by over 15', so I wanted to utilze some of that area for thing we didn't want to look at on a daily basis, like my trailer and compost bins, thats why they are there, and that's why to proxemity to the fence, I do believe there will be room to maneuver with the wheelbarrow....

What were you saying about the clay?

• Related Discussions

Pics of my compost bin

Q

Comments (3)
    Luva--I think it's great! Nice job. My pics are below. I'm kind of proud too!!! Happy gardening
    ...See More

My first compost bins (pics)

Q

Comments (7)
    I could imagine, if you have room, having a THIRD bin along side the two you have now. When you need to turn a bin you could set that tarp in front of the three bins and shovel from the bin you are turning (A) and put it directly into the empty bin (B). The tarp would catch a little stuff but not as much as if you emptied ALL of it onto tarp. Then you end up with A being empty and it can take the stuff from C. Then shake your tarp into a bin and you are done. Next time you turn, C is empty and waiting to be used.
    ...See More

Things growing in my compost bin! Brought a smile!

Q

Comments (13)
    nursejenny, I planted 600 onion plants in February. Earlier in the year, I would just pull 6 or 10 to carry into work, along with other veggies. I don't trim them in any way, so if unused they get tossed on the compost pile. Next day, I would gather more by flashlight before heading to work. I like veggies fresh, but the unused settled right in and completed their life cycle on the pile. Needless to say, everyone in my neighborhood + co-workers, friends and family had plenty and my compost missed their trimmings - darn it.
    ...See More

Almost finished composting for 2008

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Karen I actually didn't really purchase them, I received a gift card for Lee Valley from someone and I wanted to see if they worked as advertised. So far I have a house with 12 young adults in it collecting their household waste, their landlord forbids a composter on the property. I always wanted to see how the tumblers would work like this and it kinda worked out for me. I should have gotten an average family to do it so I could guage how much material there really is but the kids were disappointed that they had to send their stuff to the landfill so that's the way I went for this year. They were using pails but with winter those would freeze and make a heck of a mess. This way I can swing by every couple of weeks to pick up what they have and just chuck into a tumbler and cover with leaves. Here's hoping we don't get one of those 6 feet of snowfall years, I do not want to have to shovel to get at the tumblers :-) Lloyd
    ...See More
  • pablo_nh
    17 years ago

Nice pics!

Personally- I would not only not put in a door, but I would not put in a frame (pressure treated or otherwise).

Stand that fence up, connect 2 ends (I clip the wires, leaving tag ends as connectors- others use another wire)and there's your round bin.

When it's full, or you want to turn it- disconnect the ends, simply unwrap the pile, move the bin one foot to the side, reconnect and fork into the bin. The pile usually stays in one cylinder while you do this- making it the easiest way to "skin the pile" and get the outside uncomposted stuff to the bottom of the new pile. A stationary framed bin doesn't allow you to do this. The bin itself onle weighs a couple pounds. One bin, just keep refilling. Of course, another bin is built in this way in about 5 minutes. This is the only system I use anymore, aside from sheet composting and open piles.

Now, I know that you built a frame, so you'll probably use it and it will be great. Just throwing out the option here.

• harleysilo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

huh, why haven't I come across that simple idea yet?!?

No drawbacks? It sure sounds like a good idea....cheaper, easier and true to your point you just remove it to do your work....Do you have any pictures?

• harleysilo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You know I've been thinking (i know it's only been a few minutes) but the only drawbacks I can think of are if you make the cylinder to skinny, it could easily be knocked over, and just bending the pieces of wire back to link the ends together could be a pain. Maybe I could attach some pieces of wood to each end of the welded wire, that when a circle is formed they attach together with something....maybe just a hook and a latch, or they are bolted together, or a hindge is used (like for a door, put in pin and held together.....

• pablo_nh
    17 years ago

No, sorry- I've been using the same bin like this made from green fence (about like the fence that you have) that the last house owners left for maybe 3 years. This winter I put another piece around the bin, leaving maybe 18" between them and filled that space with leaves trying to insulate the inner one (which had a good worm population that I hoped to keep active and unfrozen).

Chicken wire doesn't stand up by itself well without slumping, but that garden fence works great!

• pablo_nh
    17 years ago

Any of those methods works. Mine is maybe 3 1/2 feet in diameter and in absolutely no danger of falling over (I challenge you to push it over :) I just tuck the tag ends in and it's assembled, but some complain about getting scratched by the wire ends and therefore use twisty ties, bailing wire, etc. A board with a few eye-hooks would probably work great as well (hooks and latch, hinges... probably cumbersome to line a few of them up along the edge in a one-person operation).

• farmersteve
    17 years ago

I'm with Pablo on this one. I got a 25' long 3' wide 25 gauge wire mesh roll at Lowe's for 10 or 12 dollars. The wires in the mesh are a half inch apart so they hold in small bits of debris and still allow good air circulation. I cut it in half so I have two 12 1/2' lengths, looped each of those into cylinders and connected the ends with some 1/4-20 bolts, fender washers and wing nuts. This creates two containers almost four feet in diameter and three feet high
    Now, when I want to turn a pile, I just undo a few wing nuts, collect up the bolts and washers that fall to the ground right there, move the wire a few feet over and reassemble. The pile stays intact in its cylinder shape and I fork it from old location to new.
    Beats the heck out of my old method where I had to fork everything out of my wood frame and then back in. Now I handle it once instead of twice. Cheap, tidy, and half the labor.

• newtxan
    17 years ago

My bin is like that with the 2-inch green wire fencing. I wired the ends together and when I turn, I just yank the whole thing up off the top of the pile and move it. No unhooking needed.

• blutranes
    17 years ago

The wire bin idea is a great idea (whatup Pablo!). Now that I have read all these great ideas I plan on running to one of the box stores and get some fencing and wing nuts too. I have two plots that are a long way away from my main bins and have been thinking of making some new bins there. The fence will be the way I go this time to see how it works.

As it relates to the four (4) -bin systems you can take a look at the link below, I posted about it when I completed it about a month ago. I use it for storing and curing finished compost. Once cured I use the compost to top-dress all my beds before planting in them. As long as the cost is minimal I am all for doing things the "free" way.

In regards to the clay comment, when making the piles moist some water usually gets on the clay and creates a slippery surface. I was stating to be careful in that regard, for our clay can be like ice when wet, as you well know.

Not to change focus, but Pablo, have you ever composted any of your rabbit manure? I got two truckloads from a new friend (HA!) that sells champion rabbits. I have two bins full of rabbit manure, leaves, coffee, and other kitchen items and was wondering if you have ever gone that route, seeing as you raise rabbits. There is also a very large pile of rabbit manure and leaves I can use when making the new wire bin. I am sure you have not accumulated truckloads, but was wondering just the same. I know that barn where my new friend keeps his rabbits is strong with urine odor, and the piles are smoking like a choo-choo train when I turn them. Do ya got any skinny on rabbit compost?

Now you guys have me excited about wire bins, will this obsession ever end? Oh no, it just keeps getting betterÂ

Blutranes

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Compost Bins

• Monte
    17 years ago

re: wire mesh bins.

Having tried a number of varitions of composters, pallet bins, three section turning bin constructs, tumblers, etc I have found that simple is best.

My latest bins are in fact wire fencing rounds lined with thick plastic. I simply zip tie the ends together, insert the liner and cover it with a round of discarded carpeting. When turning is needed the wire slips off very easily.

Cheap and effective. The link below is to a commercial version but for the price of one unit you can buy enough material to make 3-4.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pile Pro

• treelover
    17 years ago

I've done something similar to yours, farmersteve, only with chickenwire wrapped twice around and stablized with bamboo stakes woven in and out of the gaps. I bought the 2" wire by mistake, so that is 3 times around. The 1" seems a little better. Photo link below...note stash of Starbucks coffee grounds. Green trash can holds dried leaves that I use to cover any kitchen waste I'm adding. I need to move that little palm thing before it gets trampled.

The stakes are long enough that I can pound them into the ground about 6". These seem sturdy enough. When it's time to turn everything, I'll pull the bin straight up (with dh's help) and put it down somewhere else, then fork the pile into the newly located bin.

It's much easier to make these with someone else's help. Chickenwire has a powerful will of it's own.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:277259}}

• pablo_nh
    17 years ago

I've composted rabbit poop, flung it on my lawn uncomposted, emptied rabbit boxes poop/hay/litter and all directly into the garden, extracted a dark tea by soaking it in a bucket with a crack in it that acted as a strainer... Great stuff. One of very few manures that doesn't need composting. The poop pellets are hard and take a while to break down (slow release dontcha know).

• blutranes
    17 years ago

Monte said:

"My latest bins are in fact wire fencing rounds lined with thick plastic."

Where did you get the thick plastic if I may ask? Did you cut holes in it like displayed in the link you provided? The reasoning provided on that web page says it will hold moisture better; this feature is something both Harleysilo and myself can use in this hot Georgia sun. Thanks for you help.

Pablo,

Thanks dude, I have read you state before rabbit manure is not hot, however I have composted all manures per KimmSr suggestions. His logic makes sense to me, thus I have since that time composted any manure I am fortunate to obtain. I found the rabbit manure by looking in one of those local trading times newspaper under the heading "Rabbits For Sale", gave the guy a call, and the rest is history.

Great topic Harleysilo and very nice pictures I must add. Again, best of luck on your composting adventure; your question and all the responses have given this gardener yet another direction to pursue. It rarely gets any better than thisÂ

Blutranes

• harleysilo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was surprised to see all the comments this morning, had I only posted prior to construction I would have been sitting in a chair last night drinking a beer watching the compost compost instead of finishing my bin in the drizzle! However, I have finished it, will take some pics tonight.

I started filling it up with the pile of leaves and grass clippings I have been collecting since last June when we moved in. Was surprised to discover (since I haven't touched that Pile) that is was really hot in the middle.
    Noticed that in the middle there are/were pads of leaves, like pads in a bail of hay, because as they are collected in my lawnmover baging thingy sometimes wet they get compressed and when I empty the containers they stay like that, anyways those dense pad had a white mildew on them. Nothing smelled bad, it smelled like warm hay if you know what I mean.

Anyways I restacked the pile watering as i did and breaking up the pads.

Since learing about the round mesh bins I think what I'm going to do is build a couple of those to put in more conveinent places in our yard, 2 should do it. And most likely use the large bin to store the finished compost from the two more easily turned round wire bins. As I understand it the more I can turn it and keep it moist the faster it will compost. The large new bin I built will be a pain to turn, plenty of space but still 3 fixed sides. Live and learn I guess! Thanks for all the ideas!

• Monte
    17 years ago

The material I use is commonly known as slip sheet. It is widely used in materials handling and trucking as an economical method of moving palletized "bricks" of material using a specialized type of forklift. The link below explains it all.

Very sturdy stuff. Some kind of high molecular weight plastic and, as you might imagine, very slippery. Im almost sure that the stuff the Pile Pro uses is the very same material.

Almost any warehouse or trucking terminal will likely have lots of it just laying about as it is usually discarded.

I originaly got a bunch of standard pallet sized pieces and just used two or three per bin but recently came up with a source for up to 4' X 16' pieces.

At Home Depot (or anywhere that stocks the product I expect) the Trex brand of composite decking material comes with one large piece on the top of each bundle of material.

Cozy up to one of the guys in the lumber aisle and the next time they open up a fresh bunk they might save it for you. you could also try to get a hold of the receiving manager and get him to save you some of the pallet sized sections. Give him a tale about using it for a kids craft project or Scouting or some such. Their always looking for worthy neighborhood projects to crow about.

I did in fact put in holes just like the commercial version and find it works great. Three bins set up and I just slip off the forms, set 'em up empty, reload and move the contents one step down the line as needed.

Good Luck,

Monte

Here is a link that might be useful: Slip Sheets

• mommyandme
    17 years ago

I'm too cheap (and poor) to spend money buying a compost bin. I've always created my own. I now have a series of 3-sided square bins (no front) created out of poles and wire & placed off in a corner in my yard, but for several years I had round wire bins, either placed at the end of the garden or even directly in the garden. If you are a slow-cooker type of composter like me, one of the advantages of this system is that you can plant heavy feeders like tomatoes or sunflowers around the sides of the bin. They enjoy using the leachate. The tomato vines can be tied right to the bin. You can also plant vine crops, such as pumpkin or zucchini on the top. In the meanwhile, you can keep adding to the bin. The plants don't mind a bit. When you finally take the bin down to empty it & move it, you have a lovely circular piece of garden, jammed full of worms.

• blutranes
    17 years ago

Thanks for the reply Monte, I have some of that material out back, I just didn't know what it was. I plan on going to Home Depot today and will ask about slip sheet as you suggest...

Mommyandme,

Yet another great idea! There are many possibilities that can be explored based on that idea. I surely will follow in your example with a tomato plant or two...

Harleysilo, again best of luck on your new compost bins, and I do look forward to more of your excellent pictures...

Blutranes