SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

The Spring Flush That Isn't (Again)

After some late rains at the beginning of April I had the hope that this spring might be fairly good, but alas that won't be the case. It was just too little and in spite of plenty of hand watering the ground after one day is just so much dry dirt. I've tried hard to keep everything mulched but even the mulch seems to disappear into nowhere after a short time. The hot, dry winds lately haven't helped. I'm afraid we'll have to depend on the rainy areas further north and then hopefully further east (after you've dug yourself out of the snowdrifts) for most of the eye candy. There's been talk of a wet winter late this year but right now that seems far away. There are buds and flowers, of course, but not that cornucopia of plenty of past years before the drought began to set in. I'll water as much as I can and have food and water for the wildlife so they don't decimate the garden. Other than the gophers it seems to work and the bunnies and squirrels and even the roadrunners have become friends of a sort. They've become the "outdoor pets" and I feel it's my responsibility to pull Sammie, Braveheart, Bravebunny, Tripod and the Meep family and all the others through the harshness of summer. They have so far repaid me by not eating the garden, although it's a harsh fact that the predators keep their numbers down. Tripod the bunny amazes me in that he's lasted here with only three legs through at least three years, and we admire his cleverness.

Sorry that I got off topic since I know offense has been taken in the past about my feeding wild animals. They're such an integral part of the landscape and contribute so much to the enjoyment of our surroundings that I felt the need to mention them. The three feral cats that live in the area also get their share even though I know they threaten all the other animals. I can't bear to see them hungry and thirsty just because some cruel and ignorant human beings have left them to this miserable fate.

Ingrid

Comments (18)