SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m_lorne

Compost - coffee grounds good enough?

m_lorne
16 years ago

Hello all,

I have been doing a great deal of reading about composting over the last few months, but still have some questions. I have constructed a 3x3x3 box and I have lots of brown carbon material (dried leaves, old plants, etc.). However, I am pretty skimpy on the greens. My kitchen does produce a good deal of greens, but it is not nearly enough to fill the space. By my calculations based on layering 5 inches of green, 1 inch of soil, 1 inch of manure, and 5 inches of brown, then I will require around 11 cubic feet of both brown and green.

So far, my best source of greens is the local Starbucks (boo on Tim Horton's for just throwing the grounds in the landfill). They can give me about 6 cubic feet per day if I want. However, after reading in the Square Foot book about compost diversity, I'm wondering if a single source compost like coffee grounds will have a balanced range of nutrients.

Then, I contacted a local grocery store to ask about their greens. They can give me some leafy greens and such, but I'm wondering about the pesticides on the vegetables. It is a pretty sad comment on our food system when I am hesitant to put the same food in my compost that I serve to my family. Obviously I wash my veggies before serving. So should I wash the greens before dumping them in the bin?

Thanks for all of the help.

Michael

Comments (11)