SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hortsense

Kohler Command won't start

hortsense
14 years ago

Infrequent poster here...but I've always got help!

My Cub Cadet 1517 equipped with a Kohler Command CV490S (Family SKHS.4902GB, Spec 27510) won't start. New battery this year and it cranks very well. It was hard starting for the first time this earlier this Spring but started eventually with some amount of smoke that cleared as the engine warmed up. Then it ran fine for some yard clean up and restarted easily when needed.

Today, some coughing and sputtering and it ran for about 30 seconds blowing the same (bluish) smoke. I figured that I might have not let it warm up sufficiently before hitting the drive. I was wrong.

Basic diagnostics: Fuel tank, full. Spark, check (though this was only a visual it looked strong). Air filter clean (though I did try to start it without to be certain). When I pulled the plug it was slightly wet. The choke linkage was connected and working. I had replaced the fuel filter last year with the OEM filter and it has always had stabilizer and a splash of MMO for good measure (the latter always made the engine a bit quieter in cool weather). I did check fuel flow beyond the filter but not after the fuel pump (My assumption was the wet plug showed fuel was getting through, but that perhaps this indicated a carburetor problem. The carb does have a solenoid at its base but I did not mess with this (pending some advice here) I did try a few CC's of fuel directly into the carb...nothing. If I am to clean the carb, any advice would help. I am skinny on knowledge of fuel pumps and bowls equipped with solenoids. I have successfully cleaned simpler Carbs on smaller and simpler (gravity fed) engines. I do not suspect a safety switch as it had run 'some' before this problem.

But I am open to ideas or suggestions. Let me know what else I can check or might have missed. If any photos would help, let me know. Thanks guys!

Comments (7)

Sponsored