SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceth_k

i would like to share my gardening pratice with you

ceth_k
11 years ago

Hi. I would like to share a useful tip with you guys. It is my personal preference and it is not meant for everyone. It is mostly intended for the backyard gardeners with space smaller than 1/4 acre or a few hundred sq ft. who have soil crust problems and trouble with deep watering(especially with sandy soil that has water repelling tendency). This technique can benefit clay soil owners too as the breathe holes serve the opposite purpose without watering -- increase evaporation area and minimize waterlogged soil. Critics and suggestions are welcomed.

First of all lets get to know a bit about soil cursts:
{{gwi:276740}}
What is soil crust?
"Structural soil crusts are relatively thin, dense, somewhat continuous layers of non-aggregated soil particles on the surface of tilled and exposed soils. Structural crusts develop when a sealed-over soil surface dries out after rainfall or irrigation. Water droplets striking soil aggregates and water flowing across soil breaks aggregates into individual soil particles. Fine soil particles wash, settle into and block surface pores causing the soil surface to seal over and preventing water from soaking into the soil. As the muddy soil surface dries out, it crusts over."

"....A surface crust is much more compact, hard and brittle when dry than the soil immediately beneath it, which may be loose and friable. ..."

Why it is important:
"A surface crust indicates poor infiltration, a problematical seedbed, and reduced air exchange between the soil and atmosphere. It can also indicate that a soil has a high sodium content that increases soil dispersion when it is wetted by rainfall or irrigation."

all quotes are from:
http://soilquality.org/indicators/soil_crusts.html

With that out of the way, lets talk about this breathe hole thing. One reason of poking breathe holes in soil is to promote better breathing of root hairs. The other reason that is as important is the hole's water guiding capacity that lead water deep into lower soil layer just like what you want with deep watering, but without the prolonged watering. Breathe holes are recommended as soil structure improvement only when no proper preparation of soil was done before planting or watering became restricted by soil crusts. The best way of improving soil structure is adding compost and manure or structural material.

When to poke breathe holes in the beds?
1) It is preferable to poke breathe holes in clay soil during dry season, which tend to become waterlogged, as the holes serve to increase surface evaporation area.
2) Water immediately after poking breathe holes, so the water can go deeper in the soil.
3) Breathe holes should be re-poked every month.

Where to poke breathe holes?
1) Breathe holes must be poked at least 3 inches away from seedling and 7 inches or more from big plants.
2) Do not poke breathe holes around tuber crops as you might damage the food storage organs below.
3) Always poke breathe holes where crust has formed.

How to poke breathe holes?
1) With a stick small in diameter such as chopstick.

Comments (29)