SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highdesertgardener

To vent the roof or not to vent the roof. That is...

highdesertgardener
14 years ago

...the dumb question of the day. So my DH and I have built a beautiful greenhouse. Recycled this. Recycled that. Habitat for Humanity this. Habitat for Humanity that. Really gorgeous. Then we read all the things we were supposed to read BEFORE building the greenhouse. Namely, venting, evaporative cooling, humidity levels and airflow. The bottom line: our GH has a LOT of form and, um, well, we're working on function....

Looking at southwestern side of the GH.

{{gwi:305199}}

Winward and western face of the GH.

{{gwi:305200}}

The crux of the problem...the roof.

{{gwi:305201}}

The windows on the eastern, leeward side of the GH.

{{gwi:305202}}

The top of the leeward roof.

{{gwi:305203}}

That is, we have windows that can open on the eastern, southern (the two triangular windows near the roof line do not open), and western sides, but we did not create a roof that can be vented. It's made out of polycarbonate sheeting. I'm no mechanical engineer. I top out at making my morning coffee, but I'm pretty sure we should have vented the roof (a window or something that could automatically open with heat) somewhere. A louver near the floor, winward side, probably would have been good too. I've taken pictures to show the roof and the GH in an attempt to recruit your super snazzy MacGyver-esque solutions. I also labeled the winward and leeward sides in the pics. Summer temperatures in the high desert here climb to 95 degrees. Winter temperatures drop to 10. So, is it too late to fix the roof? And would I be committing my future GH plants to a slow death (or maybe a quick one) and myself to long term stress if we keep the GH as is and don't vent the roof?

Oh, did I mention there's no electricity running to it either? Or water. But I have coffee!

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse pics

Comments (5)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor