SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheaviance1

Half-finished hot-compost question

sheaviance1
14 years ago

Good morning everyone!! I just finished turning my pile, and I am seeing a lot of good things happening, lots of nice black gold forming, lots of earthworms on the bottom, fungal activity in the upper portion. I took the time to break apart, again, the big mats of shredded paper (i think they migrate to one another every time and clump up), and I added a little moisture because it needed it. My question is, I am still seeing a lot of my brown materials in the pile, and no traces of any of my greens. I've never gotten this far before. My pile is not heating up like it did when first formed. Is that to be expected? Is there anything that I need to do from this point forward other than continue to turn the pile and let it finish out? My gut instinct is telling me to add a little bit of green material to help along the amount of browns that I am still seeing, but the amount of true compost I am starting to see is making me second guess my gut instinct. Thank you in advance for your help, again.

Comments (3)