SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coeng

need help with new raised beds

coeng
12 years ago

I have almost completed my 16x16 garden enclosed with 4 foot high fence panels. Looks really nice. In the mean time I've been working on the framing for my raised garden beds in my garage at night. I have 7 frames, made out of untreated 2x8s (with 2x4s for corner braces). They vary in size (four 2x4 boxes, one 3x4 box, one 2x6 box, and one 2x8 box). I will be stapling landscape fabric to the bottoms of the frames today and putting them out in the garden tomorrow.

A few questions I have at this point.

1) The area I used for my garden was previously part of my lawn. Should I remove all the grass from inside the garden? Or only the grass underneath where the frames will be laid down. I like the idea of having a grassy area to walk on when entering the garden.

2) As a cost saving measure I was thinking about filling the bottom 3 to 4 inches of the frames with the earth that was extracted when the 3-foot deep holes for the nine 4x4 fence posts were dug. The remainder of the box will be filled with organic topsoil. Does anyone think this is not a good idea?

3) Is there any other way to obtain organic gardening soil other than buying it in bags at home depot? I already bought 8 bags of Vigoro organic garden soil but haven't opened them yet. I know this will definitely not be enough.

Any other suggestions to get me started would be appreciated!

Comments (39)