SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbcichocki

I think my rose is sick

sbcichocki
13 years ago

Hello all! Usually I hang out in the Kitchen forum, but have come over here to see if anyone can help me. I have a rose that was my grandmothers. About 10 years ago when she moved from her house to a nursing home I dug up the rose and brought it home. It has been very happy until last year. My mom thinks this rose bush is about 60 years old, if that means any thing. But quite honestly, it could just be a baby of the rose she remembers from that many years ago. My grandmother was always rooting trimmings!

OK, a little about the rose. And please let me say, I know NOTHING about roses!!! I think it is considered a climber. It is about 12 feet tall right now. It is a fuscha pink color, and has a marvelous smell. It has many petals, so not what is called, I think, an old fashioned rose.

Starting last year the stems are dying back from the tips. Some have died back about 3 feet, a couple all the way back to the ground. Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this? And can I save it? Oh, and I see some large black spots on some leaves.

It was always so healthy before, I dont' know what happened. I didn't do anything differently.

Thank you for any help!

S

P.S. I'm in the Charlotte, NC area, if this matters.

Comments (4)