SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Don't forget your nitrogen!

sherryocala
11 years ago

If your roses are getting loaded with tiny (or big) flower buds like mine are, then it's time to give them that quick-release nitrogen that was discussed here a while back. I haven't been in my garden much in the last week, so when I went out today I was pretty surprised to see - still in early spring - lots of yellow leaves with a black spot or two on them and even two young modern roses that were practically bare. Then I remembered... now is the time for nitrogen. This is when the roses need it most and take it up the best. Hoovb's experience cinched it for me, and I'm looking forward to a big flush - albeit thrips infested.

I used about a quarter cup of blood meal (12-0-0) per bush until I ran out. Then I continued with about half as much ammonium sulfate (21-0-0) for the rest of the roses. While I was at it, I put a quarter cup on the azaleas and the hydrangeas. Maybe I'll have blue hydrangeas but even lavender would be nice.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

This post was edited by sherryocala on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 23:17

Comments (31)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reminder, Sherry. Too early yet for my roses but I'll keep it in mind for a little later this month when they start to really grow.

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Moderation is best, considering aphids and other insects' attraction to high nitrogen. The salt index of ammonium sulfate is 88.3% per University of Illinois table, and 68.% per 20-20-20 NPK formula. It's best to use lesser salt source like blood meal, and zero-salt nitrogen as in coffee ground, alfalfa meal, and other organic sources.

I can see using nitrogen if die-back is severe in harsh winter, but very little nitrogen is needed if it's green to the tip in a warm climate. This spring I'll research on what the Michigan State University Botanist said, "it's the absence of nitrogen that induce blooming, rather than the addition of phosphorus."

Case in point: One year I threw blood meal on marigolds, and got 3-feet tall plants with zero flowers for the entire summer. Later years I used zero fertilizers, and got 6 inches marigolds so loaded with blooms that I can't see leaves.

See the link below for salt index of fertilizers, with nitrogen fertilizer being the highest. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see the lowest salt index is NPK of 2-20-20, that of 7.2 as in hydroponic soluble fertilizer .... which I'll test that against another higher nitrogen, and higher salt source. I will report the results late in summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calculating salt index in fertilizers

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 21:08

• Related Discussions

Don't forget to save your tomato seeds.

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks for the reminder, token. It's not that long till first frost, and if your maters have been late to produce, there is a tendency to just gobble them up as soon as they ripen, forgetting that you might not get many more nicely shaped, ripe ones to sacrifice for seeds. Also, remember you can save them a new way, using bleach-based kitchen cleaner to scrub the gel off and kill germs. Scroll down on the wintersown.org page to download the pdf file called Learn to Save Tomato Seeds. Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersown.org
    ...See More

Don't forget about your generator

Q

Comments (17)
    The prior owners had a whole house generator installed. It is enormous, i think 60,000 watts, i believe the largest you can have in a residential setting? It has a dedicated 1,000 gallon underground propane tank. It automatically comes on when the power goes out; you only know power has been lost because it flickers momentarily. It powers the entire house, which is pretty large. Personally, I would never have installed such a thing. They left us files on many household appliances, and this thing cost about 20k installed, plus a cement pad and fencing to hide it. My reply was, what, so I can save a couple of pounds of burger in the freezer? Silly. Well, in the 2 yrs or so we have been in the house, there were two hurricanes and an ice storm. I think in toto there has been three weeks without power over this time! I still may not have been impressed until I realized that, if you have well water, no electricity means no water! THAT is the killer. I can usually keep warm, esp w a fpl, and use candles, read a good book. But not being able to flush a toilet? No thanks. So, my advice is, consider it. 1) I would not put in one as large as the PO did, and I don't think it needs to run everything (ours heats our pool and lights our trees ... silly!). 2)BUT, I would not want one that you need to go out and refuel. Often you won't be able to do that easily. I am told we could go three weeks as normal, using our u/g tank. and 3) If you have a generator, do not run it continuously for days on end, even in emergencies. You need to turn it off for a few hours from time to time. PS. Random tip. We would freeze bags of water in the freezer when we had the generator on during the day, and then when we turned the generator off at night, we would fill the fridge with the bags of ice. The next morning the ice was water and we would do it all over again ...
    ...See More

Ouch: don't forget the plastic coating on your baffles!

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks, dualref. Today, 4 full days after the fact, it's starting to feel better. Yowzer! Who knew? Just a few little scratches.... As to why don't installers remove the plastic? Well, maybe that's some of the answer... I'm sure it wasn't this hard to get off prior to it being baked on, OTOH it probably wasn't completely simple either. Though truthfully, my installer likely just never thought of it. He's a little, um, dinged. Nice guy, I think he did a nice job with the hood, but, well .... I'd say I assume responsibility for this!
    ...See More

You're invited and don't forget to bring a gift !

Q

Comments (39)
    I agree that what makes this feel over the top is the sheer number of things in such a short time. But I agree with a previous poster that, although I, too, think some of them are kind of silly, especially the gender reveal stuff, none of them is unprecedented or bizarre. Like, why do you put the word “registry” in quotation marks? Surely you have heard of bridal and baby registries before. Many people don’t like them, but they are not considered rude per se; it’s only pushing them on people who have not asked for them or expecting guests to buy only gifts that the recipients have chosen for themselves that is considered rude. You don’t have to send a gift at all, although it is certainly customary if you attend a shower or a wedding, and if you do send a gift, you do not need to limit yourself to registered items, cash, or gift cards. You can choose or make a gift that you want to give. In other words, if you don’t like the registry, just ignore it. I can’t help but notice that you complain both that you ARE invited to events and that you WEREN’T invited to an event. People send invitations not only us gift grabs, but also to show people that they consider them connected and want them to feel included. What is your own motive when you send an invitation or share news? I assume it is not just to get gifts. Well, these are people you don’t even know, but you are ascribing only the worst possible motives to their having sent you invitations and announcements. That said, I would be rolling my eyes at some of the stuff, too.
    ...See More
  • jerijen
    11 years ago

We really RARELY use high-nitrogen fertilizers.

I've found, in our environment, we get better results using horse manure or alfalfa tea, with the growth hormones those contain.

Not sayin' that applies to everyone -- but it's so, here, in Alkaline-Land.

Jeri

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I second Jeri, I'm in alkaline clay land. Clay is like a slow-released fertilizer. I NEVER fertilize my deciduous trees, and they are taller than 2-story building, air is composed of 78.09% nitrogen.

Sandy soil requires more nitrogen due to leaching, and zero nutrients in sand. However, nutrients is best applied at balanced NPK, low-dose, and slow-released as in animal manure, so less would be leached due to rain.

Dry climate like CA would require less nitrogen, due to less rain, and less nitrogen leaching. Nitrogen moves with water, while phosphorus and potassium stay put where applied. Excess nitrogen produces top growth at the expense of shallow root, more watering, and more pests.

In my thread "Results of different fertilizers", from 2 experiments the best results were with higher potassium. Potassium is needed to fight disease, and for the overall health of the plant. Phosphorus is needed for flowering and root growth (essential for winter survival and drought-resistant). Nitrogen is least needed once the mass, or the height is attained.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 22:27

• malcolm_manners
    11 years ago

In Florida's sandy soils, N levels quickly drop to virtually non-existent, so it is important to use N here. Of course lots of organic matter in the soil slows the loss, but if the pH is above 5.5 (as it should be for roses), the N will get nitrified into nitrate, which leaches right out of organic matter as well.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, thank you, Malcolm!! May I say I love you? Your confirmation was timed perfectly.

Sherry

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I checked on the pH for roses: best at 6.5 to 7.

I checked on the pH where nitrogen is most deficient, using the booklet provided by EarthCo. (soil-testing company), also doubled check that with another University Extension.

Nitrogen: plenty at pH 8, but short at pH 5.5. Molybdenum: very low at pH 5.5 and beyond.

Phosphorus: very deficient at pH below 6, and somewhat deficient at pH 8. Correcting low pH by adding lime had been documented to increase yields in crops.

Potassium: plenty at pH 8, but less at pH 5.5 (not as deficient as phosphorus). Calcium: plenty at pH 8, but very low at pH 5.5.

Magnesium: plenty at pH 8, but very low at pH 6 and beyond. My alkaline clay is tested high in magnesium

Boron: can be short at neutral and alkaline. Copper: low at pH 8 and beyond. Iron: very low at pH 8 and beyond. Zinc: somewhat low at pH 8 and beyond.

I also checked on symptoms of excess nitrogen:

eHow wrote on the effect of too much nitrogen: 1) Too leafty ..., this new growth is often weak, soft and sappy, which makes the plant attractive to various pests and unable to sustain the stress of drought. And if the plant is aromatic, it loses much of its fragrance.

2) No fruit or Flowers. It's difficult for fruit and flowers to grow when there is too much nitrogen in the soil. Fruit that does grow is distorted or doesn't ripen properly, while flower buds fall off or are disfigured if they do bloom.

Gardening-Know-How website wrote: "When there is high nitrogen in soil, plants may not produce flowers or fruit. As with nitrogen deficiency in plants, the leaves may turn yellow and drop. Too much nitrogen can result in plant burning, which causes them to shrivel and die."

Nitrogen deficiency isn't bad ... just stunt growth and overall yellowing of the plant. I had a really short rose last summer, with tons of perfect blooms, zero diseases, but pale leaves ... it was next to a tomato plant which stole its nitrogen.

Per the You-tube experiment on soluble fertilizers, the best result was with high potassium plus calcium nitrate. Check out what Wikipedia wrote about calcium deficiency:

"Calcium deficiency may be due to water shortages, which slow the transportation of calcium to the plant, poor uptake of calcium through the stem,[2] or can be caused by excessive usage of potassium or nitrogen fertilizers."

It's always good to check if your soil pH falls in the range where nitrogen is most deficient: when the soil is most acidic, below pH 5.5 ..... at my high soil pH of 7.7, nitrogen is plenty.

Below is the procedure I wrote to get one's soil pH the cheapest way: using red cabbage juice:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheapest way to test soil pH using red cabbage

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 23:42

• malcolm_manners
    11 years ago

Strawberryhill -- you are misinterpreting something. Soil pH does not determine nitrogen content EXCEPT as determining whether or not it will get converted to nitrate by bacteria. Nitrate is highly leachable. pH per se also does not determine the presence or absence of any other element, although it will certainly have an effect on rate of leaching.

I wonder if you're mixing up "availability" with "presence?" I'm not saying it is merely unavailable in our soils; I'm saying it is not present at all.

Nitrogen deficiency can be absolutely deadly, if it is severe enough.

• buford
    11 years ago

Those of us that have clay soil, acidic or alkaline are lucky. We most likely never need to use the quick release products. But Sherri is in Florida and they basically have sand for soil. You could put a ton of nitrogen in the soil and it will leech away in a week or so. So yes, she does need to dose those roses so they will bloom optimally.

I do question fertilizing the azaleas now. I could be wrong, but I was told that if you give them fertilizer now, it will chase the blooms off. I did that one year, and that's what happened. It could have been a coincidence and again, maybe that doesn't hold true for sandy soils. Most of my azaleas are just starting to bud now, we are so late this year!

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Buford, but the azaleas here are done. Just a scattered few flowers left and the bushes are mostly leafed out. I did know you aren't supposed to fert until after bloom, but I didn't exactly know why. So thanks for sharing that.

Sherry

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Azaleas in central Florida are long over. My good old country boy who fertilizes my pastures says that in our sandy "soil" after about 9 inches of rain or irrigation, applied nitrogen is gone and it needs to be refertilized.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BTW, by using compost and soil sulfur I have gotten my pH down to about 6.8 - fine for roses but a little high for azaleas, so I was happy to use the ammonium sulfate. As far as the salt goes, I'm sure if the nitrogen runs through so does the salt. Different strokes for different soils. I think Seil in Michigan says she gardens in sand, too, so it's not just Florida. My garden looks loamy in that it's nice and black from the organics, but it's still sand. I guess that's why we're told to fertilize monthly.

I also remember posting here when I was digging my first rose bed. People were having cows when I listed my amendments: alfalfa pellets AND cottonseed meal AND milorganite AND Rose Tone AND composted manure. My reading said you can't overdo organics because of the timed release aspect of them plus my sand is like a sieve. I never burned anything. I did not use blood meal then. In fact, this is the first time I've ever used it. My problem is that I have never fed monthly, A recent article in the MCRS newsletter calls what I do "binge feeding" and said it was a bad practice, so I'm trying to do better with my feeding consistency. A UF/IFAS report said that alfalfa pellets last 45 days in Florida sand.

Sherry

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Thanks Malcolm, for your clarification. Yes, I understand leaching in sandy soil, my apology for not including the word "available" in my last paragraph. I grew 20+ roses in pots last summer and I understand how fast nitrogen can leach even in loamy potting soil. Sand is worst.

Few months ago I posted info. from Robert Morris plant foundation, rating the mobility of NPK: "Let's compare the mobility of NPK on a scale of 1 to 10. Nitrogen is a 10 ... extremely mobile and can be lost to leaching. Potassium is a 3. It has limited movement in the soil. Phosphorus has a rating of 1. It is immobile in the soil".

Clay retains ALL nutrients well, but phosphorus is NOT available in alkaline clay due to the its forming complexes with calcium and magnesium in clay soil. In an acidic clay at or below 5.5, nitrogen is much less available, versus abundant at my pH 7.7.

Although University Extensions clearly stated that azaleas and rhodies need very little of nitrogen, the acid-fertilizer Lilly Miller ratio is 10-5-4. I used it last year on my acid-flowering plants, and that was the first time in 12 years that I had to water them during hot summer.

Was it worth it? No, not for my heavy clay where it's already fertile. I just need bring the pH down to the neutral zone for nutrients to be available, rather than dumping salt via fertilizers. The optimal pH of roses as listed by EarthCo. is 6.0 to 7.5, much wider range that what's reported on-line. The optimal pH of azalea is 4.5 to 5.5.

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

In my last house with slightly acidic clay: 15 years ago the NPK ratio of Bayer Systemic 3 in 1 (insecticide & disease &food) was much higher. I used too much on tiny zone 5a roses. I had the worst infestation of aphids.

In my present house with alkaline heavy clay, pH 7.7:

1) First year of tomato crop, zero fertilizer: bumper crop, had to beg neighbors to take my tomatoes.

2) Third year of tomato crop: used 10-10-10 pellets. Saw fat green caterpillars for the 1st time.

3) Fourth year of tomato crop: kid shook too much 10-10-10 pellets, plants got fried, very little crop.

4) Fifth year of tomato crop: used cow manure. Bumper crop, zero insects nor caterpillars.

5) Most recent tomato crop: last year used chicken-manure pellets, alfalfa meal, and lowered the pH: bumper crop, but plants were too tall. No insects nor caterpillars.

******* The below is a report for roses in alkaline clay ****

1) First year of roses: horse manure (bedding of sawdust) and alfalfa meal. Zero insects, no thrips, no aphids. Roses perfectly clean.

2) Second year of roses: I dumped Acid fertilizer 10-5-4 on tiny William Shakespeare 2000 (own-root). Flowers bud got disfigured. Paul Neyron's bud failed to open. Liv Tyler's bloom got distorted. Scent was gone on Mary Magdalene... had to scrape off the fertilizer. No aphids, some thrips.

3) The ones that I didn't use 10-5-4 fertilizer bloomed best: those with composted leaves, those with horse manure, and those with alfalfa meal. Zero thrips nor aphids on these.

4) I used acid-SOLUBLE fertilizer of 32-10-10 for my potted roses every 2 weeks: had the worst thrips infestation. No idea why chemical nitrogen would attract that much thrips.

Best to add only what's deficient or not available. EarthCo. tested my alkaline clay to be very deficient in phosphorus, and somewhat deficient in potassium. Magnesium is abundant in most soil, except for sandy soil.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do hope people reading this aren't confused. Hopefully, gardeners know whether they garden in sand or clay. That apparently is the determining factor for nitrogen. Plus there are several factors that make Florida unique. High rainfall exacerbates the leaching problem, I'm sure, but I believe nitrogen even "leaches" into the air from an open bag so maybe we still would have the leaching problem with less rain. Certainly, I'd rather have more rain than we've had this winter and spring -- but spare us from the almost constant raining of last summer for other reasons. Hmmm, a light bulb just went on. I bet that explains the pathetic condition of our roses last summer and into the fall. They were probably starving for nitrogen much sooner than normal.

Sherry

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Hi Sherry: I agree with you that FOR SANDY SOIL, added nitrogen to organic source like manure is best. Manure has other micronutrients such as iron, magnesium, and calcium which help in chlorophyll production, and nitrogen-availability.

The difference between nitrogen and iron deficiencies?

1) For nitrogen deficiency, the new leaves sprout green, but the older leaves which donated nitrogen, is yellowish.

2) For iron deficiency, mature leaves are green, but the new growth is chlorotic (very pale). I see this problem in my rhododendrons, due to iron NOT available in my high soil pH of 7.7.

The link below explains well the difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nitrogen versus iron deficiency.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 12:40

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't think nitrogen has any corelation wiih flower thrips - at least not here in Florida. They hit en masse every year at this time when all the oak trees leaf out. They go to town on our roses, and stay throughout the year in small numbers just enough to keep some blooms from being perfect. With or without nitrogen feeding, we have thrips, so I hope no one stops feeding their roses in order to avoid thrips. I suppose if there were no leaves we wouldn't have thrips, but I wouldn't want that situation either. Don't know about thrips conditions elsewhere.

I don't use ferts with such high N-P-K numbers, so I can't comment on your results, but I'm considering supplementing with a soluble fert occasionally (many here do) just to keep up with the leaching, but maybe blood meal at each bloom cycle is the way to go since that's when they seem to take it up most and P & K are so stable. Haven't decided yet so if anyone with sand wants to comment...

Sherry

This post was edited by sherryocala on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 0:05

• buford
    11 years ago

Sherry, I didn't even think that your azaleas were done already. I made that rookie mistake the first year here. Unfortunately none of the azaleas that came with the house have survived. Not sure if it was just bad planting or they are too close to the house. I was able to save one in a pot and I'm going to try to plant it in a spot away from the house. They were a nice color, so I'd like to replace them somewhere.

One year, I did a mixture of alfalfa, blood and bone meal, cottonseed meal and milorganite. The roses did well and I didn't have to fertilize for the rest of the year. This year we have had a lot of rain, so I'm thinking I may have to fertilize more. But I also use a lot of compost and shredded leaves, so maybe that will even things out. I've never done a ph test. I just assume my soil is acidic because of the always blue hydrangeas.

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Hi Sherry: I was planning on putting blood meal in my pots so I checked on it: justaguy2, zone 5, posted this info in the Organic Gardening Forum:

"My advice for adding N is to forget about blood meal as it is usually expensive and it is easy to over apply.

Personally I use soybean meal for my lawn and my gardens. It is roughly 7% N by weight. To fertilize the lawn I spread it at the rate of 10-20lbs per 1,000 sq feet which amounts to a light dusting. This lasts at least a month for high N plants such as turf grass. There is more than N in the soybean meal, of course, but it is the N that I use it for.

Please, when growing in soil (as opposed to containers) don't focus on fertilizers, but instead focus on overall soil fertility. Raise it up with organic matter and only supplement as needed."

Others in that forum reported that blood meal release is very fast. It lasted for the entire season in my heavy clay soil, but less so for loamy potting soil.

The acidic Lilly Miller Ultragreen 10-5-4 has chicken manure pellets and all trace elements (iron, boron, copper, magnesium, calcium, etc..). The package says to apply only once in spring time, it lasted a long time with slow-released chicken-manure pellets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nitrogen application .... when?

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

I have nothing to add, Sherry, other than your roses will surely love you even more this year! :)

oh, but, one thing I wondered, cost wise, would fish emulsion do the same as blood meal but less expensive? I don't know, just wondering, Gean

• saldut
    11 years ago

This is fascinating discussion and I'm learning a lot.... I'm wondering how my kitty-litter poop- scoops are doing re: nutrients, nitrogen, etc. I do know the roses are doing very well, better than they have ever done, and so far, no sign of Chili-thrips... anybody out there have an idea abt. that? what kitty-poop provides for the roses? I also have a good layer of leaves and mulch from what the tree-services drop off in the driveway, it seems to disappear rapidly and becomes good dark loam and I dump the kitty-poop under each rose and it becomes part of the whole mess.. .......my 4 kitties do their patriotic duty and keep my little yellow poop-pail filled taking it's journey out to the garden every day....LOL...sally

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

That's interesting, Sally, thanks for the report .... I wonder the same with horse manure in my alkaline clay: no aphids, no thrips, no black spots nor mildew either. Roses perfectly clean with that stuff.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Strawberry

I used a lot of horse manure as mulch last fall. This spring I do have quite a few aphids (which I just rinse off)

BUT the rest of the garden and neighborhood has them too even with out the horse manure. For me, I think it matters more the location of the rose and when the new flush started. If the rose started early it got aphids and if it is slow to wake up, it missed the first influx of them.

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Thank you, Kippy, I always appreciate your info. You are right about location. In my last house, acidic clay I had aphids. 15 years ago, I went bonkers with blood meal and chemical fertilizers, but my husband never fertilizer the lawn, it was always green with very little weeds.

In my present house, alkaline clay I haven't seen any aphids for the past 13 years, and this house is only 1/2 hour away from the last house. We fertilize the lawn in this house (twice a year) Without fertilizer the dandelions and nitrogen-fixation weeds take over... then the neighbors start complaining.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    11 years ago

Hi Sherry,

Have you ever tried adding native nitrogen-fixing plants to your rosebeds? I don't know much (like zip!) about Florida natives that fix nitrogen, but I found a few pretty quickly on a Google search--the small partridge pea (annual) and Elliott's milk pea (perennial). Both of these were on the website of the Florida Native Plant Society (link is below). Maybe this wouldn't do a lot, but it might give just a little boost to the soil so your roses could possibly benefit from mini snacks throughout the year.

I use a variety of nitrogen-fixers in my garden. Many are California natives, with some non-natives that like the climate here. I have palo verdes (love this tree so I have 3 Parkinsonia 'Desert Museum'), Lotus scoparius (deerweed), Lotus crassifolius otayensis (Otay lotus), pink fairy duster (Calliandra eriophylla), Santa Catalina Island Mountain Mahogany (Cercocarpis traskiae), lots of California lilac (Ceanothus cyaneus, spinosus, tomentosus, 'Snow Flurry', 'Zanzibar', 'Lemon Ice', 'Diamond Heights', 'All Gold'), as well as non natives like white Bauhinia, various clovers, Austrian winter peas, birdsfoot trefoil, etc.

Guess I'm just a lazy gardener who would rather not have to add stuff to the garden if the plants can do my work for me.;) My plants are lucky to get a little fish emulsion--although a small number get a mild powdered organic fertilizer occasionally. Many plants I feed nothing. Don't know how successful this would be in a much different climate/soil. Here I have mostly sandy loam, with some strips of the garden being clay or sand. Both the soil and water are alkaline and rainfall is low. The only problem being that the city water is high in boron with varying effects on plants.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Native Plant Society

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

I had quite a few alfalfa seedlings come up in my horse manure top dressing this year and decided to leave them as they are nitrogen fixers. It will be interesting to see if they make a difference.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Melissa, last year I did just that. I planted Sunn Hemp seeds throughout the garden and was thrilled when most of them sprouted, but when they were about 6" tall, the squirrels chewed them down. I think 3 or 4 survived and grew large. I do think the one next to Gruss an Aachen at the inhospitable curb edge benefited from it because she never looked so healthy and strong. I didn't notice much difference for the roses next to the 3 others. I still have seeds, so maybe I'll plant them. I don't think they will enhance the beauty of the garden though. I'll check into those Florida natives. Maybe they're prettier plants. :))

Floridarosez, I probably have had alfalfa seeds sprout, but I pulled them as weeds. I didn't know what alfalfa looked like. (No snide suggestions, please, to check out the produce section at the grocery store.) If I see anymore sprouts that resemble the pics on Google, I'll let them be. Thanks for the idea.

Sherry

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I was taking a plant to a neighbor today and we walked around her garden debating where to put it. She noted that the long hedge of clockvine and morning glory is alive with aphids (and baby lady bugs)

Adds to my feeling the roses that got aphids are related to when her hedge got filled too.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Sherry, I left a couple that i thought were alfalfa but when they started blooming yellow I realized they were not and yanked them. But I still have a couple dozen alfalfa plants.

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Greenhouse producers of cut roses know how to maximize bloom, and they apply NPK in a 3-1-2 ratio, which is the ratio that roses use. A generous supply of available nitrogen does not reduce flowering in roses--that's an old wives' tale. Repeat-blooming roses bloom better if they have a steady supply.

Of course nitrogen is what burns plants when people overfertilize, but it's easy to avoid that--don't exceed labeled doses of manufactured fertilizer or relatively hot organic sources such as blood meal and poultry manure. Labeled doses are already on the generous side.

I apply small amounts of fast nitrogen every 4-6 weeks.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Michaelg.

Sherry