SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Stumped...

...as in actual stumps, lol.

I was enjoying weeding/the sunshine the other day when I noticed the large stump ("ornamental") had a huge crack down the side. There were carpenter ants going in the side and dropping flakes of sawdust over the edge.

Not being one to pass up the opportunity to channel my inner Curious George I went over and examined with my weed picker.

CRACK! It split some more. Then I might have helped it a bit more...One thing led to another and I ended up with to halves of the same stump ;-)

I remember seeing an article years ago in a magazine about making a "nurse log"...though I suppose that is a fancy way of saying stump planter since we're not in the forest here, lol.

So I hollowed out the stumps...
{{gwi:221516}}

And put them out in the front shade garden along the foundation. It is so sandy and dry there that nothing will grow. The neighborhood cats try and plant little "presents" there though. LOL.
{{gwi:221518}}

I'm thinking I may try and plant something in them. Not sure what I will do at the ends to keep the soil in (any ideas?). Not sure if mini hostas will work or if I would be better to stick with creepers.

Guess one mans stump is another mans planter ;-D

Anybody else have avant-garde garden ideas that panned out pretty well? Any tales of repurposing or recycling in your garden?
CMK

Comments (12)