Real signs of spring in the Real NORTH

riku
16 years ago

Destination: CALGARY, Canada (YYC)

Total pieces: 1

Weight: 12.0 kg

Details:

* LONDON HEATHROW (LHR) to CALGARY (YYC) scheduled time of departure 17:15

* 1 piece received, 02APR 20:42 at LONDON HEATHROW (LHR)

* 1 piece received 02APR 11:00 at BELGRADE (BEG) from CARGO AGENT

* 1 piece departed, 02APR from BELGRADE (BEG) to LONDON HEATHROW (LHR) actual time of departure 13:52 estimated arrival 15:26

Comments (36)

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That IS exciting, Riku. The list - what's on the list, you tease you!?

Anne

• riku
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ahhh I see your one of the sharp ones Anne, just for you, the final delivered list ... I pickup tomorrow, and for me it's like finding a virtual trove of roses (including hard to find Geschwinds) not advertised for the most part, and nearly 90% not available in Canada and nearly 100% grafted on Laxa.

A true rose man I deal with, and a classy gentleman in business and conversation - but shall remain anon for now.

Blanche De Belgique alba
    Cymbaefolia alba
    Sappho alba
    Boule De Neige bourbon (see if this one behaves better than the 2 others I tried)
    Commandant Beurepaire bourbon
    Coupe D Hebe bourbon
    Deuil de Dr. Reynaud bourbon
    Dr. Briere bourbon
    Eugene Desgaches bourbon
    Le Grand Capitane bourbon
    Mistress Bosaquet bourbon
    Mlle. Blanche Lafitte bourbon
    Mme. Cornelissen bourbon
    Mon. Cordeau bourbon
    Souv. de Victor Landeau bourbon
    Red Baller bourbon - found (nice to be able to find)
    Romaggi Plot Bourbon bourbon - found (nice to be able to find)
    Weller Bourbon bourbon - found (nice to be able to find)
    l' Orleanaise boursault
    Juno centifolia
    Hermosa china - replacement from a shovel accident
    Perle D' Or china
    Professeur Emile Perrot damask
    Arthur De Sansal damask portland
    Delambre damask portland
    Pergolese damask portland
    Rose Du Roi A Fleurs Pourpres damask portland- try 2
    Ariana hybrid harrison - Geschwind - very high hopes
    Aennchen Von Tharau hybrid multiflora - Geschwind
    Caroline Bank hybrid multiflora - Geschwind
    Ernst G. Dorrel hybrid multiflora - Geschwind
    Fatinitza hybrid multiflora - Geschwind
    Futtaker Schlingrose hybrid multiflora - Geschwind
    Geisha hybrid multiflora - Geschwind
    Gilda hybrid multiflora - Geschwind
    Himmelsauge hybrid multiflora - Geschwind
    Mercedes hybrid multiflora - Geschwind
    Trompeter Von Sackingen hybrid multiflora - Geschwind
    Wodan hybrid multiflora - Geschwind
    Baronne Nathaniel De Rothschild hybrid perpetual second one
    Caroline de Sansal hybrid perpetual
    Champion Of The World hybrid perpetual
    Dr Andry hybrid perpetual
    Duke Of Wellington hybrid perpetual
    Dupuy Jamain hybrid perpetual
    lair hybrid perpetual
    Francios Coppee hybrid perpetual
    Geant des Batailles hybrid perpetual
    General Allard hybrid perpetual
    General Washington hybrid perpetual
    Georgetown hybrid perpetual
    Glendora hybrid perpetual
    Grandmother's Hat hybrid perpetual - heard so much from California about lets see if it's true
    Hornish Plot hybrid perpetual
    Katies McNear hybrid perpetual
    Kern White hybrid perpetual
    Line and Twine hybrid perpetual
    Lord Raglan hybrid perpetual
    Marguerite De Roman hybrid perpetual
    Merveille de Lyon hybrid perpetual
    Mons. Boncene hybrid perpetual
    Star of Waltham hybrid perpetual
    Union Redwood Cemetary hybrid perpetual
    Victor Verdier hybrid perpetual
    Miriam Wilkins hybrid perpetual - found
    Wolverstone Church Rose hybrid perpetual - found (diito but England)
    Carmen hybrid rugosa
    Mercedes hybrid rugosa
    Aurelia Liffa hybrid setigeia - Geschwind
    Baltimore Belle hybrid setigera
    Queen of the Prairies hybrid setigera
    Beauty of the Prairies hybrid setigera (should be interesting as HMF says same as above))
    Eurydice hybrid setigera - Geschwind
    Ovid hybrid setigera - Geschwind
    Alpenfee hybrid setigera - Geschwind
    Corporal Johan Nagy hybrid setigera - Geschwind
    Geschwind's Nordlandrose ll hybrid setigera - Geschwind
    Geschwind's Schonste hybrid setigera - Geschwind
    Marchioness of Salisbury hybrid tea
    Mme. Moser hybrid tea
    Walkure hybrid tea - Geschwind
    Adolf Deegen hybrid tea - Bohm 1935
    Bezruc hybrid tea - Bohm 1938
    Astra hybrid tea - Geschwind
    Wenzel Geschwind hybrid tea - Geschwind
    Paul's Himalayan Musk hydrid musk
    Capitaine John Ingram moss
    James Veitch moss
    Jean Bodin moss
    Mousseux Du Japon moss - try two for the real one
    Robert Leopold moss
    Meteor noisette - Geschwind
    Mme. Norbert Levavasseur polyantha
    Ave Maria polyantha - Bohm
    Rotkappchen poyantha - Geschwind
    Crème rambler - Geschwind
    Foecundissima species - R. cinnomomea plena ?
    Lady Hillingdon tea
    Mons. Tillier tea - switch or not with below, doubt it as looks real
    Archiduc Joseph tea - ditto above but the above

• Related Discussions

Signs of Spring

Q

Comments (9)
    oh I forgot about the Bluebirds - 4 of them 2 weeks ago. Last yr. we had one who kept banging himself into the same window over & over for about 4 weeks. So loud it would wake me up. S/he would land on an air conditioner support then repeatedly run into the glass window. Not sure if what he saw was the reflection of the trees behind him? He would spend a good part of the day just banging his head. Made a mess of the window. You could walk right up to the window to watch. Kinda strange. The daffodils have been poking out of the ground almost all winter. Noticed them every time the snow melted down to ground. Now they are bigger.
    ...See More

First Sign of Spring?

Q

Comments (37)
    Was in Guymon last evening and my pu just turned in at Wally World as I was leaving. So being I was in the parking lot went in to see what they had put out over the last week. Almost everything was out inside the store now. Just a few bulbs though and didn't see any seed potatoes. They had a lot of boxes stored just outside the doors in the outside area. I didn't go out to see what was there. This year they have a large Ferry-Morse seed display and a fair sized display with organic seeds from Seeds of Change. The FM seeds were very reasonable. Not sure if someone put the wrong price on the SoC seeds or not. They showed $5.49 a pack. Which I consider very high. Didn't buy anything but looked through both racks. They had all of the usual potting and seed starting mixes and supplies out. Last week they had a sale on plastic containers which I bought a few of and using as flats for onions, leeks, ect and wanted to buy a few more buty they were all gone and the area full of garden/lawn/Bar-B-Q items. Just 2 years ago I couldn't find any seed starting mix or potting mix anywhere before Feb 1st. So since I've kept at least a partial bag and some potting soil for insurance and both years the stores have had it out in mid Jan. More geese have moved in from the south over the last week. Notice a few more flocks moving north during the week. Everyone that is talking about it says it is due to little water and food south of here. They say the ducks/geese that use this fly way can go clear to the Mexico border and not find many water/food combinations. So not sure if them moving north is a good indicator of an early spring or just an indicator of hungry birds. I would say the numbers here have climbed to over a thousand now. The wheat is growing and some fields that they didn't even cut must have a little grain down on the ground as I've been watching them feed in them. They don't stay out feeding over an hour which indicates they are getting plenty to eat without a lot of work. Which somewhat surprises me. My two youngest apple trees just lost the last of their leaves a week ago and are showing signs of the buds growing now. The older one has buds I'm afraid won't wait long enough to bloom out from the way they look. I remember in the late 80's a winter like this. The last day of Jan it started raining. And then turned to ice and snow. Then the cold set in for around 2 weeks. Hope that isn't the case this winter. I keep telling everyone not to store their coats away yet. The good thing is the longer we go without a severe cold spell the less likely we are to have a prolonged extreme cold spell. But I've seen really cold weather through the 15th of Feb so not getting in too big of hurry starting too many seeds yet. Jay
    ...See More

what signs of spring are you seeing?

Q

Comments (35)
    The skunks are out at night digging up my lawn and spraying!That means no more letting the dog out after dark without company. I have also noticed a few spiders in the house! I hate spiders! I can hear the birds in the morning again. The dog must sniff at everything while on a walk. I have the urge to get outside and get my hands dirty!
    ...See More

Signs of Spring

Q

Comments (53)
    That's a bigger daphne than I've ever seen in my life. European nurseries seem to be rather afraid of daphnes--the British are obviously braver--and they're hard to find, especially if you're budget-minded (i.e. cheap) like me. Fortunately the only commonly available daphne here, Daphne odora 'Aureomarginata', is also one of the most fragrant, beautiful, long-lived, and easy to grow. And, good to know, you can grow it from cuttings. An absolute queen among shrubs, and highly recommended for those with suitable conditions. My parent plant is now about twelve years old and is about 3' x 7' x 5'. I pretty much leave it alone, having sited it correctly at the start, and it thrives marvelously. It has several cloned babies about the place. My not being able to grow camellias, azaleas, and blueberries, is somewhat compensated by my garden's suitability for a number of daphnes. What I've been able to scrounge together over the years are the 'Aureomarginata' mentioned above, our native D. laureola, laurel spurge, successfully dug up and moved from nearby woods (this is nicely evergreen but not striking, and is invasive in parts of the western U.S.), D. mezereum, also native, but I had to order it from Germany; and D. 'Eternal Fragrance' and D. x burkwoodii 'Carol Mackie': the former thriving, the latter puny but it hangs on and grows, though slowly. They're dreamy plants.
    ...See More
  • melissa_thefarm
    16 years ago

Oh, my...

BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

And, after they're established, are you going to begin enriching the gardeners of Canada with cuttings of your marvelous roses? Splendid, splendid list.

Melissa

• triple_b
    16 years ago

I know it is low class to speak of such things but let me be a redneck for a moment. Wowee! How much did THAT cost ya?? (You don't have to answer that but it was one thing that popped into my head. That and high school French.)

• carriehelene
    16 years ago

Riku, that is an amazing list. Quite a few I've never even heard of. Wow, are you going to be planting for a while. I'll be interested in hearing how your Weller Bourbon does. It's the only rose I lost this winter being over-wintered in my unheated garage. I got mine as a band from Vintage. It really didn't grow a whole lot, so it might have just been a weak specimen. If you can get yours to survive in your zone, maybe I'll try it again.

• carolfm
    16 years ago

That is an impressive list, Riku. Please take photo's of the one's that are not available here. I would love to see them.

Carol

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

WOW---WOW---WOW

Florence

• triple_b
    16 years ago

you may need another memory card for your digital camera once those get blooming.

• jackie_o
    16 years ago

Riku Heavens! Are you starting your own nursery??

: )

• sherryocala
    16 years ago

Riku, do you plan on growing your Chinas, teas and noisettes as annuals? Do you have a greenhouse? Do you have 40 acres? And are your dear babies sleeping in the bedroom with you after their long trip?

They all sound wonderful!

Sherry

• riku
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They arrived home safe and sound 60 minutes ago from the air cargo depot. Finished taking a very quick sneak peak with a glass of Beringer's Chenin Blanc in hand due to a long day and week - nice way to finish off the smoother of a week with my treasure trove of hard to obtain roses for me and along with my favorite desert wine.

Prefect execution and timing by both parties in this endeavor again with only 48 hours give or take, elapsed from leaving airport to my house - got to love it when it goes perfectly two years in a row for my favorite passion considering the risks associated with hearing other peoples stories and experienced one really bad episode a long time ago.

Nice and green and fresh, young feeder shoots just beginning to peak out of Wodan, Mme. Norbert Levavasseur and Sappho - I did mention it was a quick peak?

Off to the nursery tomorrow to buy peat pots and soil to get them going for May Planting - the frails into the grow room under lights to join the chinas, HPs and teas that have wintered there with fighting, as usual the mites, in a see-saw battle for the last 5 months (actually it only about 5 minutes once every 5 days with a can of pyrethrine - not really a big deal).

Asked how much did it cost ? ... hhhmmm I claim it is my one treat a year in celebration of making through another winter to see another spring. But lets say to ensure prompt delivery and low loss potential take your average cost for an own root in the States or Canada (currency equal now days) and deduct 3 dollars and assume 2/3 of the remaining cost is transport cost per rose. The gentleman is extremely reasonable with his prices for such rare roses in Canada - at least in my books.

Asked if starting a nursery, no I am not, but I SAH wish I was but only as an aside of pleasure not business ... I've had enough of the "power whines" in my real life I only relate to black and white. I know of one for sale in a perfect location in Canada but no money for it.

• sherryocala
    16 years ago

Congratulations! Glad they're home!
    Sherry

• andreageorgia
    16 years ago

A most impressive list, Riku.

So, the roses came from Serbia/Belgrade? Sounds like the nursery Petrovic Roses could be a match.

They seem to have a most impressive OGR collection, given their list and your (quite matching) order - and they have a very good website, also in English. They do ship internationally. Glad to hear that your roses came so promptly and in such good shape. Given what they have to offer, I might actually give Petrovic a call, shipping to the UK should not be much of a problem.

Now, who's going to plant your many new treasures?

Andrea

Here is a link that might be useful: Petrovic Roses

• riku
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aaahhhh, I see Cambridge alumni - Do I see a tinge of pink of in your background slant ??? ... the 6th man not known about? ... yukyukyuk ... always favored Oxford myself, better rowers.

I will be planting them as the spring plant is a most excellent purgative for the soul to rid yourself of winter's bad vapours.

Petrovic Roses is an extremely good potential candidate and I hear and read good reports about their one man dedication to acquiring and preserving OGR and antiques in a beautiful Balkan garden that I believe is scheduled for a major expansion.

There maybe many layers - some harder to locate and using approaches of !!!Here I am!!! - is not recommended, then again who knows for sure.

• riku
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found a bonus rose as I work my way through the order. Thought Golden Moss was out of stock, but low and behold there it was. Been trying to acquire it for years ...

• andreageorgia
    16 years ago

Hi Riku, close but not exactly - I'm currently employed at that place. And Cambridge a hotbed for radicalism? That would be news - last time I checked Cambridge had something of a reputation as an academic research institution, in some ways more so than Oxford. Here's the quick count: Cambridge affiliates boast the highest Nobel Prize winner count of any university in the world, Cambridge produces many more PhDs than Oxford, and actually has some serious science to offer much in contrast to Oxford whose traditional strength has been in producing government employees - lawyers, MPs, and diplomats (who sometimes end up as Masters of Cambridge colleges, as in my college). And as to a slightly different kind of government employment, yes, Cambridge has traditionally been MI5's and MI6's top recruiting address. For better or worse, Britain's enemies like Cambridge brains too, see for instance the opposing Cambridge spy camps during WWII. And the British Security Service's (MI5) official historian, Christopher Andrew, is professor at Cambridge. What would make one out of all this politically? It's certainly never Oxford, they're too conformist and traditionalist. Now, looking at the all important athletic score board, Cambridge actually has a slightly higher winning score in the famous boat races than Oxford. Not sure if that makes one or the other team the better rowers? And regarding academic political radicalism, you'd really have to look elsewhere in this country. Britain's radical academic heavyhitters have usually come from (and/or have been employed by) other universities. Thank goodness, not everything is Oxbridge here, even if these two try to make you believe it.

Meanwhile, let's hope that spring will come, enjoy your fabulous new roses and keep us posted on their progress!

Andrea

Here is a link that might be useful: he Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive and the Secret History of the KGB

• riku
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Andrea I really do enjoy the information ... but in a non-nonsensical weak defense of Oxford, the 1st lady Rhodes scholar from Canada was in my class here, suggesting a massive moment forward in advance thinking in 1977 at Oxford??? (yukyukyuk). And right into the civil service at a high level.

A few more bonus roses found now that I am finished the first pass and have them soaking, includes Agathe and Kronprincessin Victoria. Also what I like about this vendor if he is not pleased enough with the quality of a bush or has doubts he ties a double to it. Need to go through again tomorrow with a formal list.

• leo_prairie_view
    16 years ago

What a great selection. Did you visit the Arborétum Borová hora or do it all by mail/e-mail. Take good care of that "Ariana hybrid harrison" of Geschwind's and keep us informed of how it is doing. I am sure that this 'Himmelsauge' will be the real one. It is interesting that they do not mention the Rugosa in it's makeup which is what tempts me to try it. I was tempted to try a Portland or Moss this year but several nights of -35 with 60km winds made me chicken out again and stick to more pimps. So I will enjoy following your results.
    Leo

• riku
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Leo

Thanks, this springs variety probably represents the apex of my out of zone testing as I move into planting mostly zone 5 and 6 roses.

The gentleman mentioned he would be offering me "really rare" ones in the future ... Canada is so blessed to have this gentleman willing to offer to us versus convolutions and dead ends I been down ... as you can imagine I had to pick myself off the floor and take a strong whiff of smelling salts at this offer. I have myself next to first in line for next year.

On the "Made in Canada" by great hybridizers who knew how to make a rose for here, I have Prairie Peace, Hazeldean (a prize offering from a friend), Butterball, Suzanne and Haidee coming - hopefully soon as zone 2 thaws out.

You know just as I wrote this missive I just thought I should a reciprocal offer to my European source for Canadian cuttings. Shheeez talk about me being a slow thinker.

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

What do you mean the Real North. Compared to you I live 280 miles further North than Calgary? Leo lives 450 miles north of Calgary. So ya must mean the deep south of the North? LOL ...it is going to be exciting to see how your new roses will do. BTW it is snowing really bad in London and that is no joke... see

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow in london April 6

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

WOW Riku, seriously nice list you have there. Congrats.

I have been anxiously awaiting your report on last year's batch to see if you felt the laxa was a better choice for our climate. I know it's to early to tell yet, how they came through winter, but just a gentle reminder that we are out there wondering...lol

cathy

• riku
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay cupshaped roses you win on highest degrees of latitude in the present life ... I have always called Calgary the banana belt of Alberta anyways, but if the past lives count, look up Sysma Suomi (it's a pretty small dot if it exists at all on maps) ...

Being potting like a mad man and having a blast.

Found another bonus "Mme Dubost" ... a bonus for me and Helpmefind photos if it blooms as it appears to be non-existent in the states ...

Registration name: Madame Dubost
    Bourbon
    ARS Reg: Light pink [lp]
    Origin: Bred in France (1890) by Claude/Jean Pernet (père)
    Bloom: Light pink. Blooms in flushes throughout the season
    Growing: USDA zone 5b through 10b
    Parentage: Unknown

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    16 years ago

Oh, Riku - I can imagine you deep into the potting up and I would give a lot to be there helping you unpack and plant. How thrilling! What a list!! We will look forward to many reports and many photos, yes?
    You really know how to live right - no casual rose enthusiast are you. And once again I must say that you're my hero. :-)

Anne

• andreageorgia
    16 years ago

Yes, I can attest to the utmost cr@ppy WINTER weather here in the SOUTHERN UK in APRIL. We've had snow in the early morning hours yesterday, also a very icy, snowy, and windy Easter weekend. There's no end of winter in sight any time soon. Right now it's about a whopping 6C or so, after some night frost of course. This will make it a lovely 7 months of winter weather, and counting. Add to that pleasure the many smoking chimneys around us (in part from folks without central heating in this very crowded city, yes, we're talking the 21st century and carbon emission counting, not that they've heard of it!), with the smelly smoke often ending up in our house since no one here here seems to know know how to build draught-free windows or doors. The winter pollution in Cambridge can simply unbelievable once one moves outside the smoke-free inner city center. Coal and wood smoke everywhere, sticks to one's hair and everything one wears, especially lovely in foggy weather, and good for the lungs. Having lived in Germany and the US, I simply cannot believe this. Plus, if I remember correctly, there was absolutely no summer last year, instead we got an eternal 12-18C weather with lots of rain and wind, great. Maybe Oxford has better weather than Cambridge (supposedly not though), now that would be one reason to switch institutions. I bet anyone anywhere in Canada has much much better weather and air to enjoy than we do here. While England may not be able to change their lousy weather, they seriously have a lot of catch-up to do in terms of modernization and living standards. Well, they do have some lovely roses here. Sorry about my off-topic rant, couldn't help myself.

A.

• riku
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hahahahaha ... love it. If you have not made it yet, you need to get to the Cornish Rivera where DMIL lives, and Lands End right in front of the house. The westerlies on a really good day will clear the system out if you hold onto the handrails ... either that or the terror of the cliffs will fix you right up. I consider Cornwall and Devon some of the most beautiful countryside on the Island and a gardeners paradise.

Usually I could not wait to get out of the greater Metropolitan area. That coal sure has an interesting fragrance, but to me it's the outside door knobs, or should I say lack of that drives me nuts.

• leo_prairie_view
    16 years ago

Cupshaped,Just to keep the record straight, I actually live a bit south of Riku but we are 1400km further inland and away from the moderating effect of the ocean so our winters are longer and colder. Our micro climate is also open prairie with out the protection of a city or hills or trees around us. If you are ever in North America in the winter again we would be glad to show you what winter is really like.
    Leo

• riku
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just an update. This experience is turning out to be an extremely good overseas import so far. After almost month and half inside in the unheated garage potted up - including having to cover them up for a week due to -14C weather where some lost their first set of leaves to freezing "inside" - I've only lost 5 out of the ~ 105 delivered that failed to break dormancy (canes shriveled).

The potting up is turning out to have been a smart move also with the long delayed plant due to weather because they been allowed to become soil based for 6 weeks instead of soaking. Of course I lost one car space in the garage to my DW slight annoyance - my car stays in, it is newer ... hahahaha.

The Geschwinds have broke - except Geschwind's Schonste and it looks dead. The one I was zeroing on, Ariana, has been very vigorous (got planted outside yesterday). Planted it in the south bay plot just in case it does behave like a noisette and not like a Harisonii for hardiness.

I dosed nearly half with mychrozial fungus (forgot the first half until I remember I bought the stuff in winter).

Next week is the big plant with the Pickering's and the Skinner and Erskine roses special order coming this week.

Yeah the pain and ecstasy starts again ... bring it on!!!! Of course November sucks as we do it all in reverse again.

• mariannese
    15 years ago

El Areana is probably more harisonii than noisette. It was rediscovered in Norway where it has been widely grown since 1916 when it was imported from Peter Lambert's nursery. South Norway is a warmer climate than yours and mine but not warm enough for noisettes. My plant was planted only last year so I don't know much about it yet.

I'll be very interested in following your Geschwind roses as they mature. I have grown several of your imports since 1999 or 2001. All are completely tip hardy without any protection for me. But they have their faults. Aurelia Liffa had BS already in May last year, incredibly early here where springs are dry and we may get blackspot in August if at all. I wanted to shovel prune it but my husband loves the flowers and wouldn't let me.

Marianne in Sweden

• carla17
    15 years ago

Goodness, now that is a list. I would also like to see pictures when they bloom.

Carla

• bluesibe
    15 years ago

Wow, I knew you were a real estate baron, filling your lands with floral arrangements. Now your teams of gardens will plant as you watch from ahigh, (wine in hand).

Let me know how your Boule de Niege does, I got one glorious bloom last year. The beauty and aroma were worth the treasure and wait.

Carol

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

An impressive four-scroll list. Are you going to keep many in pots?

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

I'm breathless not only with your plant list but also your knowledge beyond the rose garden---I'm truly impressed and will be looking forward to pictures.

This is so exciting and I will be living vicariously through your garden.

Florence

• riku
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks folks for the enjoyable and informative comments and good wishes. Harry, I will only keep the teas in the pots and bring them in the middle of October and put them in the grow room.

I did receive and plant the prairie privately hybrizied old and new Canadian roses (Skinner's Suzanne, Butterball, Haidi and Erskine's Prairie Peace). It is going to be somewhat of a new experience for me as they are what I call "runners / suckers". All of them show very heavy spinosissima / pimpinefolia cane attributes, but not the "spindly" canes that I am use to (they are at least in some cases 1/4 to 3/8 inches in diameter. Still going after the Beauty of Leafland next year (Erskines)

Got a bonus of two Prairie Peace roses. One actually looks grafted and is very large with 3 canes. These hardy for zone 2 roses have been put in prominent places in the back north gardens replacing under performing out of zone roses I have no more patience with. I believe it is likely going to be 3 to 5 years until they mature into true bushes.

• tenor_peggy
    15 years ago

My goodness!!! How many acres do you have?? I can't imagin planting that many roses in one season! Whew! I hope you post pictures of these. Most of them I've never even heard of. You have my admiration for sure! :-)

• riku
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi tenorpeggy,

Good to hear from you again, remember you from over the years here. As to plantng, no room increase in real estate here. I been doing only a bit of shovel pruning and when required SP easy to do as these roses are rare in Canada.
    I do not need as much room and therefore do not follow the 2 foot radius rule, because of the miniaturizing effect of zone 3 on 6 foot out of zone roses - learned that over the years.

Also been easy to plant as about 50% of the roses are small grafted ones with roots cut which the vendor warmed me about and I accepted with no problems - another reason I like dealing with this vendor - warned the roots would be cut, unheard of to be told that.

I have noticed that in the pots the small ones have been putting out really good root system - lots of exposed new white feeders on the soil sides in the pots. But to be sure to give the best start in the short season I have been adding mychrozial fungus inoculations to the soil and any exposed roots.

Managed yesterday to plant about 1/4 of them focusing mainly on the bourbons and Geschwinds and planting them in the warmest and most sheltered spots. Also planted a couple of his rugosas and in a particularly tough spot for roses put in another Nevada - once bloomer acceptable in this spot as it is semi cane hardy in zone 3.

• riku
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And what really gratifying is three days of hot weather up here has triggered the bloom buds to appear on Rotkappchen, a Geschwind polyantha and Deuil de Dr. Reynaud, a bourbon I can not find up here - Olga's makes me envious

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider