SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
owataqt

Lots of questions, maintenance ,freeze damage, etc

owataqt
12 years ago

Hi all

Well it's a new rose season for me. last year I didn't really do what I did the year before. The year before I sprayed ( with what I don't remember- hence one of my questions) gave bone meal, fish emulsion, spray n grow on the leaves periodically) gorgeous..spring and summer roses.

This past year- I started my backyard urban farming- chickens, peacocks, mini pig, goats) and they had the run of my land and hung on mh back patio and helped themselves to every plant, every pillow on my outdoor furniture, every thing you turned you back on especially my baby goats.

This year I told my dh- no one is free ranging past their little pastured-gated areas. Not until end of summer. Yes I feel guilty because my Nigerian mini goats are like dogs if they didn't eat my rose bushes down they love to just lay on my patio and their a real joy.

So here's the questions I have- several rose bushes were planted 2 seasons ago- one planted 5 years ago and a couple last summer.

1. What again should I be spraying them with on a regular basis- yes I get leaves with black spots during mid summer

2. Should I be watering them now? Strange weather here- no rain this season

3. My rose bush that's about 5 years old can kick out some amazing repeat flowers- have no clue what she is- pink- yesterday I noticed strangely enough some of the leaves look dried up and dieing , like dried up curly wilt, almost like crunchy. Is this possibly freeze damage?, does the whole plant begin to die or just those branches? And what damage

Should I just pull off those leaves, today their was more, or cut the branches that have those leaves on it? What does freeze damage look like? Does anyone have photos they could share with me on rose bushes with freeze damage and explain what should I do?

Let's see- I know I will have more questions for all you awesome peeps..as you all helped me pick out my roses for my backyard.

Iam excited to see what this rose season 3rd season for most of my roses do

Oh sorry 4. My rose bushes have really tiny tiny buds on them and some with none. I just don't remember them having such tiny buds on them when they did get buds? Is this do to lack of fertilizing and feeding?

What do u suggest this season I feed my roses and how often ?

Happy rose growing..

-Carol-

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County