SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hueytlatoani

Moderating unheated greenhouse temperture fluctuations?

hueytlatoani
15 years ago

Hello, I have recently built a small A-frame greenhouse to use to extend my growing season for greens/rootcrops. The house is not a marvel of engineering; it was built out of scrap lumber I had laying around and skinned in 6 mil polyethylene. I am only needing the structure to last one season, and then will be putting in something better, time permiting.

It is relatively well sealed, and in the daytime makes it up to 110f to 120f. A wee tad warm. At night, it seems to maintain about 4-5 degrees above the ambient outside air temperture. I can add vents, but at this point I'm thinking of cracking the door to vent some heat.

Here's my question. Does anyone here (with more hands-on greenhouse experience) think that it would be appropriate to crack the door (to varying degrees of openess according to the expected daytime temps) at maybe 7:00am before work, and close it again when I get home, around 6:00pm? It seems to me that this might be an attractive (cheap) solution to my temperture fluctuation issues. Any insights would be most appreciated-thanks in advance!

Comments (4)