SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annececilia

In praise of Sydonie

17 years ago

I began my pruning and clean up today - in a t-shirt, no less. (Hard to believe that just a little over a week ago we had 8 inches of snow on the ground during winter's reprise!) I have a long, long way to go before I'm done, but one of the roses that got spruced up today was Sydonie. This is turning into one of my favorite roses - good repeat, good disease resistance, fragrance, a lovely full flower...AND she retained green cane over winter! Yes, she was covered with snow drifts most of the winter and she is somewhat sheltered from the wind and most intense winter sun by a neighboring flowering quince, but still it was a surprise and joy to see all the green canes and buds breaking right out to the tips! Since I've always had to prune back Rose de Rescht, I assumed I would have to do the same on Sydonie - but no. She was good to go (at about 4 x 4') and all I had to do was pull the old leaves out of her crown and snip off a few old blooms that were hanging on. I can't wait for her first bloom of the year. :-)

Comments (13)