SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Solarization to kill ornithogalum bulbs?aka star of bethlehem

A large portion of my property is infested with Star of Beth bulbs. According to a Purdue study....Paraquat provided 70 to 78% control at one year after the 2002 application.

Well Paraquat is not an option I would even consider, even if it was available to Josephine homeowner.

Each spring I dig bulbs off and on from sometime in Feb until sometime in May when all visible sign of the foliage is gone.

Here is a pic of them in clumps, though in some spots on the property they are no longer in neat clumps as the soil has been disturbed.

{{gwi:10440}}

Here is the front yard. The dark spots are the star of beth clumps.

{{gwi:10441}}

I read 'here' about how to Solarize Soil.

Since I do not want to disturb the bulb clumps, I will not be doing steps 1,2, and 3.

Should I use a total kill to kill off any vegetation before watering the soil and putting the plastic down? Would it heat up more if it was all already browned out?

The bulbs are anywhere from 1-4 inches deep, on average. Do you think the soil would heat up enough to bake at least some of the shallower ones, or maybe some of the smaller ones?

I figured I'd leave it on for 8 weeks...all of July and Aug.

Would that be about the best time frame? Btw, the areas would be in full sun all day.

Has anyone ever tried this to kill the star of beth, or maybe wild onions?

Tia,

Sue

Comments (12)