SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilsa_gw

I've Done The Research ...

ilsa
17 years ago

OK - I've been reviewing old threads, taking notes (I now know more about thermal mass, BTUs, etc. than I EVER thought I would!), and I just have a few of questions for all of you experts out there.

My husband will be building my potting shed/greenhouse combo in 4-6 weeks (once his separated shoulder heals). The north side will be PS, and the south will be GH (lean-to type, wood frame). This is a hobby GH - something that I can use to take gardening to the next level. The PS floor will be wood, and the GH floor will be gravel. Glazing will be twinwall PC. Overall size: 12'x16' (split down the middle btwn PS & GH). It will have power and water. I'm in eastern KS (KC Metro), and there is some question as to whether we're in zone 5b or 6a ... who knows - when it's cold, it's cold. When it's hot, it's hot, especially this summer!

Anyway - here are my questions. Since this is a one-time shot, I want to make sure I do it (somewhat) properly the first time.

1. Do I need to worry about misters right now, or is that something that can be added later?

2. Do I need to put some type of black matting down, over the gravel, during the bitter months (Jan/Feb), or will the gravel suffice?

3. I was planning to leave the wood frame/knee wall natural (stained/sealed, of course), but would it be better to paint it? I've seen threads on dark paint vs. natural wood, but nothing conclusive. Given the summer temps, I doubt it will be much good during those months. No orchids ...

4. Is there any hard/fast rule re: thickness of PC (6mm, 8mm, etc.) that anyone is aware of? Any suggestions from gardeners in this area?

5. Finally, are there any 'first timer' pitfalls that I should avoid? One of those things that everybody knows, but I probably don't b/c this is completely new to me?

After reviewing EVERY SINGLE post of EVERY SINGLE thread in this forum, I saw several negative comments such as "useless". I must say that I EMPHATICALLY DISAGREE - there is a wealth of knowledge here, and I'm hoping to tap into some of that! A week ago, I thought it was as simple as standing up a frame & fitting in some glass. I now know that this is NOT the case, and, even though he's grumbly/in pain (my husband and 'General Contractor'), I feel the extra few weeks will be of benefit.

Any input that you have is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Ilsa

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths