SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ole_dawg

The GH height issue once again. HELP!

ole_dawg
16 years ago

The height issue once again. HELP

I am now at the point of having to make a decision on how high to make the GH. I will be making my base of 4 x 6 x 8 feet rough cut pine straight from the saw mill which is only a mile from where I live. 4 x 6 x 8 cost me $6.80 each. Or I can get 4 x 6 x 12 for $10.20 each, but I will have a problem getting them home. The GH is more or less 6 fee 6 inches wide by 15 feet long. The order of assemble, well not really, but to give you a proper idea of what it looks like.

The legs/walls are inch EMT with ½ inch EMT with a piece of 5/8 inch vinyl on the end shoved down inside the ¾ and secured with 6 sheet metal screws. It makes a very tight fit. So her we go.

The 4 x6 will be laid long side down and 1 inch holes will be drilled to accept the ¾ EMT. They will be secured by a pin driven through a hole drilled from the 4 inch side. That leaves 56 inches of ¾ with 33.5 inches of ½. Then we have a 3.5 series of fittings then

We have 27.5 inches of ½ inch EMT that goes into another series of fittings 6 inch long. The top of the arch of the bow is between 20 and 23 inches because they all did not bow equally. Damned of I know why as they are all the same length. The first cross member that runs across the width of the GH is at the top of the 3.5 inch fittings. I would like to be able to use a 6 foot homemade door so I have to cut something of the 33.5 piece. Now comes the decision time. What and where do I reduce the members? At the 33.5 or at the 27.5? Any ideas would be appreciated. The height of the bow is OK for me to get my exhaust fan in so I will not bother about that. I WOULD POST SOME PICTURES, BUT I DONÂT KNOW HOW TO PUT MORE THAT ONE IN A POSTING. I AM GOING TO GIVE IT A SHOT ANYHOW.

I figured it out HURRAH (sp)

Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

NOTE: there will be plenty of supports etc., because I have some many piece that I cut wrong left over. LOL I design by error.

{{gwi:302538}}

Overall shot of top section on blocks

{{gwi:302539}}

6" Joint w/sliding tees for braceing. I add a 45 degree short elbow and do the same on another member for barcing

{{gwi:302540}}

3.5 inch joint

{{gwi:302541}}

Leg/Wall joint using 3/4 EMT and half inch EMT with vinyl tubing over it to make a tight joint

{{gwi:295026}}

Vinyl tubing in place for a short joint in a fitting

{{gwi:302542}}

Double end section for the door. That will give me more strength to frame out the door

{{gwi:302543}}

Old photo showing the top section with the bracing in place

GOOD NEWS! I had the cancer surgery on the very bad skin cancer. Called MOHS and they got it all this time. THey have tried twice before and did not get it all. I now have a huge hole in my forehead a little smaller than a quarter.

Who cares. The D n cancer IS GONE!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH