SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesliew_gw

Once again, confused about pond maintenance

lesliew
16 years ago

I have been interviewing pond companies to find someone to maintain my pond from season to season and add whatever features might be necessary. I am getting conflicting advice from all of them, and don't know how to proceed, so I am asking you experts which way to go.

Pond is about 11 X 13 at the widest, anywhere from about 1 foot to 30 inches deep. Built last October by a company I do not wish to continue with - there is no filtration other than a UV filter. Pond water is still crystal clear, with only a slight amount of debris at the bottom. Huge rock waterfall has a fair amount of string algae, which I keep under control with an AlgaeWitch, although leaving a good bit of it assures clear water in the pond.

Last winter I shut down for only a couple of weeks when ice began to form, and started it up again when everything thawed. The fish were fine when Spring came. I now have about 30 + comets and shubunkins, and about six fry which survived from the Spring, and which are not about two inches long.

The issues are:

1) Biofilter. One guy says I should add one, with a UV light, since my UV is too small. He says it should be added before the existing UV, with the same pump (4800 GPH) running both. One guy says I should replace the UV filter altogether with a biofilter with UV. Yet another says I should forget it altogether, since I seem to be doing alright without it, and he adds bacteria every Spring anyway. The guy who built it said I could only add a biofilter if I use a second pump.

2) Water changes. One guy wants to drain and clean the pond every Spring, and add bacteria. One wants to do a 60% change both seasons, and when I asked about the sludge at the bottom, he said a lot of it will be stirred up and exit the pond with the water change. One guy wants to drain it each Season. Seems the proponents of total draining are the only ones who will vacuum ( with difficulty since we have a fair amount of gravel on the bottom).

3) Pump. One wants to bring it up for the Winter, and return it in the Spring. One says he has found the life span of those pumps he has worked with over the years seem to be equal whether they are removed or not. He says just wait till it stops working and replace it, since the cost of constant removal and replacment which quickly add up to the same thing. One wants to just turn it off for the Winter and add aeration via another small pump.

4) Winter operation. Two of them want me to shut down altogether for about three months, from December to March. The third says to play it by ear. The guy who installed it told me to leave it running unless the pond starts to ice up.

I am trying to figure out which guys, and which pieces of advice, are the best. I have read that if you keep draining and cleaning the pond, you upset the biological balance. These guys seem to feel that adding bacteria addresses that issue. If that is the case, why bother with a biofilter?

Not one of them has suggested periodic cleaning with a vacuum device. I don't know if that would replace water changes or draining.

I really need some of you to tell me what the best way would be to maintain this pond and keep it looking like it does now, and how to keep these fish healthy. Please.

Comments (8)