SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrmckins

Composting newbie

12 years ago

I spent Saturday afternoon building a two-bay compost bin with my 7-year old daughter. She had a blast and is very excited about helping me compost. I loaded the bins with layers of leaves, straw (leftover bales from Halloween) and grass clippings. I watered it well. It rained really hard this morning. Tonight, after walking out to the bin with my daughter to dump some stuff I took out a big scoop. I was very surprised at the steam and amount of heat that came off the pile!!! I thought I'd have to wait a week or so and was very pleased that within 48 hours I was already cooking!

So far we've added egg shells, avocado peels and pit, hair (I have three daughters and a wife ... lots of hair), toilet paper rolls, dryer lint, shredded paper and a shredded cereal box. Since I'm doing this with my daughter I plan on treating it like a big science project and plan on composting all sorts of weird stuff. I also have a huge supply of horse poop (my 9 year old takes horseback riding lessons), coffee grounds (I'm on a first-name basis with a local coffee shop and they said that if I bring in a container they'd be happy to fill it with grounds), grass clippings and leaves. Oh, and I only used 1 bale of straw to start this pile. I have two left.

Since I live in Raleigh, NC I figure I can compost pretty much year round. I started this so I can slowly start amending my back yard "soil" (it's all clay). I laid Bermuda grass sod three years ago (this stuff will creep across concrete) yet it's pretty much died off in the clay. I figure that over the next 100+ years of persistent composting and top-dressing the lawn I should be able to make some progress. In general, I'm not patient but for stuff like this I'm incredibly patient. I also started this because I know my youngest will help me. She knows it's her duty to take the "stuff" to the pile every night.

Anyway ... no real question... just new here and felt like rambling.

Comments (8)