SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
easelpad

Building New Greenhouse - design and solar suggestions wanted

easelpad
14 years ago

Hi All,

Planning to build a greenhouse this fall to accommodate the large number of plants I would normally bring in from the deck and surrounds each year - many of them have grown too large. At any rate, I have a fairly large unused portion of my yard that has a good cement base (30 years ago they were dog runs) and gets excellent light during the winter months.

I want to add a solar panel to be able to heat it as efficiently as possible. Only limitation is the width as it will sit between a retaining wall and back fence - which is about 8-9 feet wide.

We plan to build the frame from pressure treated wood, sinking the frame posts into cement, surrounding the existing base, and then building up from there.

Any suggestions on other materials? We're going to try to acquire some recycled (free) sliding glass doors and custom build the other windows and door from various recycled materials.

I'm really interested in hearing from anyone who has used small solar panels for similar projects and getting any advice you can lend as to best brands/models, experiences, etc. We've got easy access to existing electrical as an adjoining fixed outbuilding has electricity already which we can easily tap from.

We'll post photos as the project goes and be glad to post details on the design as well for anyone who is interested. We've learned a lot from different folks on the forum and are anxious to be able to return the favor in info. Thanks.

Comments (2)