SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thewireman

Solar Greenhouse Design

15 years ago

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for some time now and have learned a lot from you folks. I'm in the early planning stages of a greenhouse and was hoping some of you may be able to help me. I live in Northwestern Arizona, and would like to build a greenhouse, mostly for food production. We can't grow anything outside without extensive fencing. The abundance of deer, rabbits, etc. tear into anything fresh and green. What I'm thinking of is a pit type solar greenhouse. Lots of thermal mass to temper the cool winter nights and to absorb some of the heat in summer. Also we have a normal diurnal change of about 30 degrees. Most likely a swamp cooler to add moisture and cooling as well as some form of suplimental heat. My biggest concern is angle of glazing and amount so I get enough light without overheating in the summer. I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this type of greenhouse or growing in a greenhouse in this type of climate. Or am I completely nuts to think I can make this work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

Comments (6)