SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karin_mt_2

Midsummer Greeenhouse Report

10 years ago

A few years ago, a dear garden friend taught me that it's impossible to have every crop thrive every year. Some years you get a bumper crop of plums, but a mediocre raspberry harvest. Sometimes you'll be giving away cucumbers but wanting for carrots. This philosophy has helped me a lot, so that I don't get all worked up when some parts of the garden are lackluster.

But the greenhouse has always been stellar... up until this year. It started off with a bang in the spring and early summer, but then it looked like the tomato plants had blight -- but blight is rare around here because it's arid. And I start everything from seed with my own clean pots and my own clean pots; where would blight come from?

{{gwi:301854}}

{{gwi:301856}}

Outdoor tomatoes were suffering the same fate, except the varieties that were doing well outdoors were doing poorly in the GH and vice versa.

Along with tomatoes, my cucumbers were barely even growing, and it took me several tries to get basil and some annuals to grow.

Bummer!

Meanwhile, all of my garden energy was going into prepping for being on the garden tour. (Note to other gardeners: never do this.) I realized what the greenhouse may be missing is my usual doting and fussing. So I dialed my pampering efforts up.

I replaced the mineral filter for the misting system (the plant leaves looked crusted - perhaps it was mineral buildup?), I kept after sickly looking leaves, even though trimming off the dead stuff made the plants mostly naked. I went to our lovely organic plant store and had a long talk with them. I engaged in a routine of soap spray for spider mites, foliar spray of compost tea for general plant health, and a nice liquid fertilizer for a root drench. I also used rainbarrel water for a daily leaf spray to deter spider mites and get rid of the minerals.

The plants started to look a lot better. With the outdoor annuals that were showing similar symptoms, I just started watering them a lot - and they rebounded right away!

The day after the garden tour (phew), I spent a couple of hours tying up new plant stems, applying a generous layer of our own fluffy compost, and generally fussing over things. I can finally pronounce that our GH is doing better. It's not up to its usual, over-the-top productivity, but it's a lot better. I'm no longer sad when I walk in there. Tomatoes are forgiving plants because they always want to make new suckers and stems. Things are ramping back up!

Still a little sparse, but so much better than 3 weeks ago!
{{gwi:301858}}

Cucumbers are so small and slow! Come on cucumbers!
{{gwi:301860}}

This is Ernie's Plump, one plant. It's new this year and it's the best tomato I've ever grown!
{{gwi:301863}}
{{gwi:301865}}

A sign explaining a bit about the greenhouse for the garden tour. People loved it but I was so bummed that it's not up to its usual standards!
{{gwi:301867}}

Anyway, that's our story for this summer. I will have to think about how to recover from this for next year. Ideas and suggestions welcome!

Comments (6)