SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_z6

Black Currant Report 2014

bob_z6
9 years ago

I haven't seen many comparisons between black currants, but from what I've seen, there is quite a bit of difference between the cultivars in both productivity and taste.

I've got 5 types, all of which I've been growing since 2011. While I picked a few last week, most of the fruit was ripe today. I spent several hours picking, and got about 7 pints. The Consort actually had more, but I got tired of picking them. I may go back later for the rest and a few stragglers from the other bushes.

While they are pretty yucky (to my tastes) fresh, I love black currant jam from the store. The mixed jam I made last year (which also had red and white currants and gooseberries) wasn't as good. So, this year I'm planning to make an all black currant jam.

Now, I need to decide if I should make one big batch of jam, or two small ones. If I do 2, I'll try one batch of Consort (most productive and worst tasting fresh) and one of everything else. Has anyone else noticied if the flavor differences in the fresh berries carry over into the jam? Would consorts stronger flavor (once cooked and tempered with sugar) actually be an advantage? Name Harvest Taste Problems Goliath 1 pint C+: Not bad- some sweetness 20% of crop destroyed by some sort of rot Blackdown 1.5 pints C: Not too bad none Laxton's Giant 0.1 pint D-: Very strong, spitter light crop Minaj Smyreu 0.5 pint C: Not too bad none Consort 4+ pints F: Horribly strong without sweetness, "no-doubt" spitter Mildew on leaves and anoying to pick due to small berries

Here's a pic of the Consort bush, including a few of the white mildew leaves (on the right side of the pic).

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath