SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hdbngr8

B&S 18.5 Hp 31P777-0296-E1 problems

hdbngr8
14 years ago

Sorry for the long post...

My Craftsman DLT3000 began having problems last summer (it is about 4 yrs old). After 15 minutes or so of operation it would die. If you moved the throttle to low idle it would idle, but you could not put any load on it until it cooled off. Problem was exacerbated when riding on a slope with the left side higher than the right. Determined that the problem was with the fuel shut off solenoid, so I "de-activated" it. Machine was then able to run under full load. It tended to pop and backfire when not loaded and for the most part went away under full load (mowing grass); it now will barely hold low idle (sometimes not), and it sputters and lopes when there is no load at higher engine speeds. At around the same time the starter motor had difficulty turning over a cold engine; it would eventually turn over and start.

I replaced the air filter, verified that the fuel pump operates properly, and replaced the spark plug - all to no avail. After doing some searching here I found similar problems that other owners had, specifically related to the valves. I have since adjusted the valves (going to wait til engine is cold to verify the valve lash fixes the hard cranking problem), but the rough idle/loping under no load problem remains.

When it lopes it will pop (and sometimes backfire), and you can see that there is unburned fuel in the exhaust (black smoke). There is a build up of soot near where the exhaust leaves the machine. I notice that during the loping that the governor arm is constantly moving back and forth. About the only thing I can think of left to do is check the float in the carb (have never done this before). Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services
More Discussions