SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnee0214

General Info on Eastern Redbud seedlings

fawnee0214
12 years ago

I decided to come out of tree lurkdom for this one! I found an old post about germinating E. Redbud seeds and decided I'd give it a go. I got some seeds from the same native E. Redbud tree in FL and germinated them. After many seedlings dying, I salvaged two. (I found out from experiencce it is bad to leave seedlings in paper towels for too long) Now both seedlings are about 2-3 months old and one is 3 inches tall, the other is 2 inches. The taller one has bigger leaves, but they both have two true leaves and are working quickly towards three. They germinated within days of each other. Is this growth difference normal? They both have had the same conditions going all the way back to being flowers since they were on the same tree and I have them in same area. I'd rather not cull the smaller one...

I'd love some help rearing the babies. At what age/size should I fertilize? They look a little like they have a nutrient defiency. Around the main veins, they look light green but start to yellow just a bit as you go out further. Is MiracleGro 15-30-15 at a quarter dose okay for using it at every watering? If not, what's good? I've also got some 7-7-7 (Although it has urea nitrogen in it and my trees are indoors in pots so I'd prefer not to use that yet).

Though I got the seeds from a FL tree, could I plant them in upstate NY? Would they make it through the winter? It's within their range, but the seedlings are Floridian. I plan on keeping them indoors until I go up there for the summer and transplant them so I can harden them off up there. At what size would they be ready for transplanting in NY? I will probably need to wait until the following year, I know. BTW, what's the growth rate I should expect? They are growing quickly, but just not as fast as I hoped. But then, they could be a foot by now and still I'd wish they grew faster ;0)

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but when and how should I start training them to be trees, and not multiple-trunked shrubs?

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but A) My camera just broke and B)I don't know how to do it anyway.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Comments (9)