SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbbbosox

air compressor questions

bbbbosox
17 years ago

Howdy.

I'm looking to buy an air compressor for home use. Primarily will use it to blow up tires, do some spray painting, may be some nail, brad stuff (like putting up some wall cabinets in a laundry room). While looking at a number of air compressor model specifications, there is always the references to a specific horsepower number (and sometimes something referred to as "running HP) and a gallon size.

What is the significance of these numbers? Let's say a certain brand X air compressor advertises "1.7 Running Horespower, 26 Gallon tank". How should I interpret these numbers? I have seen other ads that have larger and lower numbers, i.e., 5 HP, 8 Gallon tank. Perhaps, I want more horses and less gallons, but truthfully I wouldn't know why. I can speculate, but prefer to hear from you folks that have a better wealth of knowledge and experience. Yup, I'm a dummy when it comes to air compressors so please feel free to enlighten me in any way possible. If there are other numbers or factors that I should consider, please advise.

Thanks in advance,

bbbbosox

Comments (7)