SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Thornless upright 'polite' climber, rebloomer if poss

kristimama
14 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to roses.

I have a 4' wide spot against a western facing wall in the Bay Area. I was thinking about Zepherine drouhin, but I have been scared away by warnings that it's a vigorous grower... as I prefer it NOT grow out of control up to the eaves. I also have a really narrow yard, and only about 2 feet of space between the wall and the house. So I'm really hoping to find something that would grow up, not out, into the lawn area. Also need thornless, since it's an area where the kids play. And preferably a rebloomer.

I also watched a video on how climbers bear their roses on you tube, and it's my understanding that with climbers I'd have to weave the main canes horizontally to get growth on Zephy, and I'm not really set up for that much work.

I'm actualy hoping that I can find a rose that grows in more of a vase or fan or spray pattern, bearing roses all along the upright canes. Does such a rose exist?

Is there a difference between "rambler" and "climber" in their growth habit?

And does an "upright" shrub produce roses all along the cane, or will it only bear roses on the tops of the canes? (See, I told you I was new to this.)

My mom has a "papillon/duke of york" in her yard that she's not willing to give to me, and Vintage Gardens only has in bands. That's one idea I had and I may just go with it if that's my only choice.

Another idea I had was climbing pinkie, but I'm wondering if it's growth habit will be like zephy (where I'd have to be weating it in and out of trellis horizontally.)

Basically, I guess I need a climber, but one that doesn't require too much weaving into a trellis or an obelisk. And one that would stop at 4-7' tall.

Even better if it blooms more than once. And the canes need to be thornless or almost thornless.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

KMama

Comments (36)