SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidld_gw

Tecumseh small engines are underrated

davidld
17 years ago

Guys

I've been singing the praises of Tecumseh Snow King engines in snowthrower applications.

I have this Sears push mower with rear bagger I use for trimming with the Tecumseh engine Sears used when it was built 20 years ago. I got this mower nearly 15 years ago from a colleague who had used it as his primary mower for about 5 years and was ready to set it on the curb after he hit something with the blade and it wouldn't restart. He assumed he had bent the crankshaft.

Everer the tinkerer, I thought there was a good chance that all he had done was destroy the flywheel key and the timin, and that I could fix it for the cost of the key. I found another colleague who had a gear/flywheel puller and I set out to remove the flywheel. Sure enough, the key was toast and the mower was at least a third of a turn out of time. I found a new key, put everything back togethre and it ran fine for a dozen years or more.

Last spring I did have a little trouble getting it started. THere was old gas in it and I had to take the air cleaner off and spray the inside with carb cleaner. But she did take off and go all last summer.

I don't use this mower much--just the areas where my Deere wont mow--and I havent changed oil on it in about 3 years. I guess I should do that this year.

Well last fall I put a bit of Stabil in the about 1/3 tank of gas in it rather than trying to burn or dump the gas. Just a few minutes ago I filled the remainder of the tank with fresh gas primed the prime button a little extra, fully expecting I would need to go through the air cleaner carb cleaner routine to get going this year again.

Guess what? 2/3 of the way through the first pull the engine took hold and ran without hesitation or missing. Sometimes its been known to stop shortly after the primer gas runs out, then I need to re-prime and restart, but this time it ran without any stopping.

At this point the deck is starting to rust through in a few spots but i think I can fix those tiny holes with plastic steel and go at least another season or two.

I keep staring at the cheap trimming mowers at Wal Mart. THe cheapest, this years version of the $99 Electrolux (red) I have in ND, is now $109 and a green with orangish yellow Wheels Weedeater, and I'm up to $189 to get a bagger. Having said that, for the extra $10 you get another horsepower on the Briggs (4.5 vs 3.5 hp) and lever-adjusted wheels rather than the unbolt and move system on my $99 version.

But meanwhile the Tecumseh/Sears brought back from a curbside death soldiers on, and starts the season on the first pull!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
More Discussions