SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlndocs

Strong vertical plant for dry shade

girlndocs
16 years ago

One of my flowerbeds is in front of a big laurel hedge I can't remove, and yesterday I limbed that section of the hedge up a little to more of a tree form, to open the bed up and give it more light.

What I didn't expect was how that would change the scale of the bed -- now there's lots of open area at the back of the bed, in the mostly-shade under the laurel branches, that just looks bare. The plants that looked so nice before now look like a sad little row of plants in front of an otherwise empty bed.

I found a lot of candidates to fill in the mostly shaded area but I'm stuck for the spot I really think could use a vertical accent. It's near what will be some Geranium macrorrhizum, hosta, and on the other side alchemilla and a stand of cannas (so, maybe not so very dry). I already have daylilies in that bed and would rather not add any more, but either bearded iris or daylily foliage is close to the form I want.

Do you think bearded iris would do OK in a spot that gets very little direct sun? It probably gets about 5 hours of more-or-less-dappled light. What other shade-tolerant plants have a vertical shape (not just in bloom but in foliage)? So far my list only has Chasmanthium latifolium (spangle grass)and Polygonatum biflorum (Solomon's seal). I'd like something around 3' tall, and no taller than 5' at the very outside.

Thanks!

Kristin

Comments (7)