SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coloradobird

Ornamentals for part shade/ dry soil?

coloradobird
17 years ago

I have been doing a bit of research on grasses, but would like advice from some who have grown them. I have a small garden (about 5' x 4') by the sidewalk that is planted with low growing perennials (dianthus, ajuga, plumbago, etc) and I'd like to add some vertical interest. I think a grass would be perfect. However, there seem to be very few that will tolerate part shade and normal/dryish soil (definitely NOT moist!). From the Bluestem Website, I found a couple of blue fescues, but they don't get taller than about a foot. I need something maybe three feet (at least 2) or a bit taller that's not invasive and doesn't require a lot of sun or water.

I found this one on the Bluestem Website: Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Overdam'. It's a possibility, but I am confused about its sun and water needs. High Country Gardens says it needs full sun and is xeric, but Bluestem lists it as sun/part shade and requiring moist soil. Anybody grow this?

I would really appreciate any suggestions. I have never grown ornamental grasses.

Thank you!!!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions