SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schwing_gw

Insulating GH Floor?

schwing
15 years ago

I have a 10X16' homemade greenhouse that attaches to the south side of my house. The walls and roof are made with triple-wall pollycarbonate. This coming winter will be it's 3rd winter. I live in the northern part of lower Michigan.

I was talking with my brother, who has no construction background or anything, and we were brainstorming ideas on how to keep it warmer during the winter. He asked if I insulated the floor before installing it. I did not. He speculates that a lot of the heat in the GH might be getting pulled out the bottom of the floor, which kind of makes sense.

My questions are ... how much heat would I actually lose out of the bottom of the GH in wintertime? And if it is substantial and worth doing, what would be the best materials and process of "retrofitting" the floor.

The floor was dug down about 8 inches and then filled in with 4 inches of quarter-chip and then 4 inches of pea gravel on top of that. I grow primarily orchids in my GH and would like to keep the temp no lower than 55 degrees.

Thanks for any advice!

-ken

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor