SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cargobean

So tired of perennials acting like annuals!!!

cargobean
16 years ago

Hello: I have lost quite a few perennials this year, or at least I think I have. I have lost 4 gaura's, 2 pink, 2 white. They have no signs of green on them at all, two of them when I scratch back the branch is somewhat green, but does that mean they are alive and will turn into wonderful plants? How can you tell if your plants made it through the winter? All my other plants now have plenty of green on them!!

Also I lost my shasta daisy, hollywood lights. I was so disapointed cause I spent $12.99 on this one plant and it bloomed fabulously last year, but if I had known it would act like an annual, I could of just bought one and saved a good amount of money!! I Also lost all my coriopsis. And all these are hardy to my zone and more.

I am quite frankly tired of planting perennials only to have them act like annuals!! I think part of my problem is that I haven't replenished my soil in the last 4 year's. I only put in chemical fertilizer and the plant. Never realizing that I should be putting compost and manure in my garden, until I started loosing plants and started reading about it. The first year I planted, I didn't loose any plants, now I loose like 10 a year and that is getting expensive. But whenever I check my soil it looks beautiful, I do the ball test and it crumbles just like it's surpose to, not too much clay, not too much sand, just the right texture.

So this year I am going to put in the much needed compost and see how that helps. Any suggestions? Are gaura's, shasta daisies and coriopsis just short lived perennials. I mean, it's frustrating now trying to figure out what to buy and wondering if they will make it through the winter. I even put down hay to protect the plants, because we never have enough snow during the winter any more. Any advice would so be appreciated!!

Comments (27)