SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
james_garfield_gw

Let's Talk Batteries

james_garfield
14 years ago

From my previous posts you may recall I'm the proud owner of an MTD (Wards Signature). These are such wonderful machines (go look up 'wonderful', haha). They have so many fine features, we have to talk about them. Don't get me wrong, I'm truly fond of this machine -- the old girl and I have been round the pasture a few times.

This time I want to talk about the battery. As you know, this model has the 'little' motorcycle-size battery. I've wanted a bigger battery in there for years, but short of cutting metal, nothing bigger will fit.

What's the CCA rating on this little battery anyway? Surely it can't be more than 400-450CCA? Whatever the rating is, when you try to start 18 or 20 horses with it, that little battery needs all the help it can get. A new freshly charged battery can usually get things moving, but if the battery is tired... sad story.

Optima Yellow top and Red top batteries are very favored among the off-road (Jeep, etc) crowd, because they have a huge reserve capacity, and they're spiral wound instead of plate built, and they are resistant to vibration.

Am I just fanatasizing, or is there an Optima battery made that will fit the MTD? I know it would cost $$, but it would be worth it. Barring an Optima, what's the best battery brand that would give my MTD the most whallop when I turn the key?

Talk to me about vibration. I've heard it's not a good thing for wet cell batteries? You gotta know if *I'M* having a rough ride up there on the seat, the poor battery down there right over the axle line has got to be having a rougher time. There are certain areas in open pastures where the grass isn't very thick and I try to make time with the speed, but it beats the you-know-what out of both me and the tractor... and I only just lately learned this might not be a nice thing for the battery either.

Advice, comments... and thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions