SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

where to plant bee balm (Monarda didyma)

brit5467
10 years ago

I did a search on here and found that this plant gets pretty big (and tall) and depending on what type it is, it spreads with runners.

Anyone have this particular species (is that right word?) and if so, how tall does yours get? Does it spread with runners? How much room would you allow for it?

Also, it is in a small Bonnie plant herb pot. In the past, I've made the mistake of putting immature plants like that behind already established plants because of anticipating them growing tall. But I didn't take into consideration that the established plants would block out the sun so most times they've died.

So in a case like this, or with any other plant where it's small but is going to get big ~ do you recommend planting it in a pot until it gets bigger? Or planting it where it can get light now and then transplanting it later on or next year?

I know lots of people move plants around like furniture (to quote a friend :) but I don't always have the best of luck with that. They tend to die on me. So I'm just wondering if there is some sort of trick to this that I haven't figured out...lol.

bonnie

Comments (23)