SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annuschka_gw

Black drums for passive heating: paint the back of them white?

Annuschka
10 years ago

Hi,

I plan to put 8 steel drums along the back wall of our new greenhouse (enough for our amount of glazing)

i) Should the back of the steel drums (the bit facing the wall) be painted white, so they don't heat the wall? The wall is painted white to reflect heat /light back into the greenhouse.

ii) What's the ideal distance from the wall for the drum ... 4 inches? And about the same between each drum?

iii) I reckoned on standing the steel drums on crushed rock that is layered about 3 inches deep over the greenhouse's unheated concrete floor. OR should they stand on wooden planks rather?

iv) The drums will be all in a row but if I stacked a few one on top of the other at one end, would that cause some buckling due to weight, over time?

What are people's experiences long-term with barrels, how long do steel barrels last before they rust? (I have painted them with flat black rustproofing paint). I have read a lot of posts sceptical about their use in conserving heat but have also seen some Youtube videos of commercial greenhouses successfully using them (stacked up against a wall one on top of another).

Great forum, thanks folks!

Comments (2)