SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patbooks_gw

(Almost) Passive design is working!

patbooks
18 years ago

Just an update on our 8 by 16' attached passive greenhouse - we've been growing cool crops like lettuce, spinach and kale; growth is slow. We have tomatoes slowly ripening, as well as Meyer lemons; new buds on geraniums, a flowering jade, and flowers just opening on the rosemary plants. So far we are using only a doorway fan from the attached large room, which is heated to about 60 (at best) with a pellet stove. (Anyone else underwhelmed with the performance of their pellet stove?) We did away with the rigid foam night blankets because of space constraints (should have made it bigger!) and used bubble wrap, which we leave up all the time. Lows of 42F so far, with outside temps reaching about -18F to date. Probably some cooler corners and some warmer areas; I have the temperature sensor about the level of the soil in the planting beds, though not in the soil itself. We have about 250 gallons of water in thermal storage, most in thirty-gallon black drums along the north wall, the rest in smaller spackle buckets which I never got around to painting black this year along the knee-wall.

Does anyone use soil-warming cables in planting beds? Any luck with them, and do you think they'd work in an otherwise cool greenhouse? Hate to deceive the little buggers into sprouting into the cold...I really enjoy reading the posts on this forum. It has provided a lot of moral support as well as good advice and interesting stories.

I think as time goes by and I get more confident with the greenhouse's performance I'll try other things, and will want a thermostatically controlled heater to prevent disasters. Temps have been known to reach -30F with a stiff wind; we survivied that last year but I think the rigid foam was a better night protection. Any suggestions?

Happy new year to all -

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES