SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kossetx

some compost/leaf mold observations

kossetx
15 years ago

Getting into compost and leaf mold on a somewhat larger scale taught me a few things this past fall. Usually I picked up about 100 + bags per year but I finally put a new floor in my old trailer and IÂve stepped it up to 120 bags at a time. So far this year IÂm at about 400 bags but it wasn't the best year for leaves with the hurricane and all. So here they are...

120 bags of leaves at a time weights more than youÂd think. I figure about 30lbs per bag average, so 3600 lbs per load and I think that is on the low side. Some bags I have to strain to pick up and IÂm no lightweight. It is all my old half ton truck can do to pull the trailer full of bags.

Flat smooth sided bags are the ones to get. They weight more but yield better results. I usually avoid bags that have a very bumpy look. Too many pine needles are inside.

I avoid bags with large bumps altogether.

You can tell a lot about a bag by squeezing it first.

Always wear leather gloves when following the last observation.

While some people will put almost anything in a recycling bag, for the most part itÂs only leaves and dirt.

Diapers will compost.

Because of the last observation clear bags are always preferred.

Leaf bags will disintegrate fairly quickly here in the Texas sun so storing them in an uncontained pile doesnÂt work.

Cats believe I do this all for them. Another reason for a contained pile.

People think your weird if you pick up their leaves, but they think your really weird if you only pick up one of the five they have on the curb after fondling each one repeatedly.

And lastly, will I ever have enough?

Comments (8)